Programming Experience
Beginner
Our application details are as follows :

Windows Server 2000
Clients - Windows 2000
SQL Server 2000 istalled on the server
DotNet Framework 1.1
Application on VB.Net
We have been able to connect and run our application from the clients on to the server.

When we went for deployment in our customer place, there they do not have a server ( under procurement ) and hence the SQL Server 2000 evaluation edition was installed on a win xp machine. The clients are also win xp. When we tried connecting to SQL Server, the SQL Server access denied or not exist.

We tried to simulate the same in our office since my laptop runs on XP. Still when we tried to connect from a win2000 client, the problem is same. Through the network we are able to access any shared folder on the xp laptop and work on the same. Hence the possibility of network being the culprit does not arise.

However in the SQL Server installation on our Win 2000 server it is set up as SQL Server athentication whereas on the xp it has been set up as Windows authentication. Could this be the cause ?

We also checked that the protocol settings through the client network utility and the settings are the same on win 2000 client as well as xp laptop.

Can someone help in this ?

Thanks and Best Regards

Varadarajan R

Addl Info : my connection string on xplaptop is "Data Source=RVLAPTOP\IBPASQL;Initial Catalog=IBPA_SYSTEM;Integrated Security=SSPI;"

My connection string on win2000 client and win 2000 server is "server=BMSERVER;Initial Catalog=IBPA_SYSTEM;uid=sa;pwd=;"

Please.... PLEASE.... FOR GOD'S SAKE PLEEEEASE tell me you aren't using the SA no password to connect. That could be the culprit right there.

First thing you need to do is decide if the SQL Server should be Windows Only authentication, or mixed mode (Both SQL Authentication and Windows). Next thing to do is set the server to the proper mode. From Enterprise Manager, select the Server instance and right-click and select "Properties" Then on the Security Tab, set the authentication mode.

Once you've got that worked out, you need to make sure the right conneciton string is being built. If you insist on using the SA account to log in (that sound you just heard was the DBA's of the world gasping in disbelief) at least put a password on it.... which if it was done at the client location..... you'll need it to login using that account.... no DBA worth their salt is going to give that up. If you are going to use SQL Authentication that is independant from the user, then create a special one for your app and use that to login with.

Lastly ADO.NET doesn't use "Integrated Security=SSPI;" any more, I think it's now "Trusted Connection=True;"

-tg

Then

Thanks tg for your help.

The sa null password is only for development setup and not production setup. In the production setup it will be a specific user name with a password ( same as what you had suggested ).

Having said that, I think the problem will remain. It is because, in our test setup where the client as well as the server is xp, the authentication system is same as that was done in our development setup. Hence the problem I think remains ( I will check this out tomorrow and revert back ) I will also check up with the new string for ado.net in windows authentication.

Thanks for the help.

Varadarajan R

Back