hlsc1983

Programming Experience
1-3
i need help on what sql query to use to populate a list view:

I have the following tables:
1)Subjects
2)Departments
3)Semesters
4)SubjectsDepartments junction table ( since there exists a many to many relationship between Subjects and Departments
5)SubjectsSemesters junction table( since there exists a many to many relationship between Subjects and Semesters)

1.png

In vb.net front end, there are two combo boxes and one listview. First combo box is to select the semester and a second combo box to select the department. Using the values in these two combo boxes, i want to populate a listview with subject names. I know how to populate the comboboxes but i dont know how to write the sql query to get the subject names as it involves many tables. please help.

2.png

Hi,

So long as you have setup your ComboBox's correctly so that you can easily access the semester_id and department_id properties of your DataTables then you can get your course information with the following SQL Query:-

SELECT Subjects.subject_id, Subjects.subject_name
FROM Subjects 
INNER JOIN Departments_Subjects_Junction ON Subjects.subject_id = Departments_Subjects_Junction.subject_id
INNER JOIN Semesters_Subjects_Junction ON Subjects.subject_id = Semesters_Subjects_Junction.subject_id
WHERE Departments_Subjects_Junction.department_id = @DepartmentID AND Semesters_Subjects_Junction.semester_id = @SemesterID

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Ian

Last edited:
Hi,

So long as you have setup your ComboBox's correctly so that you can easily access the semester_id and department_id properties of your DataTables then you can get your course information with the following SQL Query:-

SELECT Subjects.subject_id, Subjects.subject_name
FROM Subjects 
INNER JOIN Departments_Subjects_Junction ON Subjects.subject_id = Departments_Subjects_Junction.subject_id
INNER JOIN Semesters_Subjects_Junction ON Subjects.subject_id = Semesters_Subjects_Junction.subject_id
WHERE Departments_Subjects_Junction.department_id = @DepartmentID AND Semesters_Subjects_Junction.semester_id = @SemesterID

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Ian

k the query seems to be working fine now but another error has come up :

"Conversion failed when converting the nvarchar value 'department_id' to data type int."

I am confused because 'department_id' is stored as int in the database.

i got it . it should have been 'departmentCb.selectedvalue' and not 'departmentCb.valuemember'. Similarly for semesterCb.selectedvalue

Back