Splash Screens?

Sean Kelly

Programming Experience
10+
I have a splash screen set up but when it runs it comes up as transparent, what am I doing wrong please? It shows the border and thats it. If i change the splash.show() to splash.showdialog() the splash shows successfully but of course i have to close that down to get to the next screen.

Sounds very odd. What is actually happening with yuor splash screen. Are you ding any graphics, images etc? How are you setting the interval for the time the splash screen shows. I just clutching at straws here to be honest, i've never encountered this problem before.

It has an image on the screen yes, I suspect the answer is in my newbie coding! I'm trying to just display the splash whilst loading up a rather large dataset for my grid...

/code

' Close This Screen and Display Main Screen
Me.Hide()
Me.Close()
splash.Show()
MainScreen.gettags()
splash.Close()
MainScreen.Text =
"Unasys ePM - " & Me.FPProjects.Sheets(0).GetValue(row, 4) & " Project"
MainScreen.WindowState = FormWindowState.Maximized
MainScreen.ShowDialog()

/code

If it is displaying with the showdialog then i suspect it's becuase it's just having a job keeping up. Try adding an application.doevents after splash.show like this.....

VB.NET:
Me.Hide()
Me.Close()
splash.Show()
Application.DoEvents.
MainScreen.gettags()
splash.Close()
MainScreen.Text = "Unasys ePM - " & Me.FPProjects.Sheets(0).GetValue(row, 4) & " Project"
MainScreen.WindowState = FormWindowState.Maximized
MainScreen.ShowDialog()

If this works ok, i would suggest that we look into a way of displaying your splash screen on a separate thread. Try what i've suggested then i'll post some code to show you how to use an asyncronus delegate to open your splash form then close after the dataset is loaded.

Back