splash screen.. howto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

massacre

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi,

I wanted to make a splash screen for my application at the startup.
Dont know how to load the form for this function.

Plz hlp.
Thnks

thanks

well i have an application and i want to show a splash screen on the app startup. where exactly do i have to put the code for loading the splash screen?
ie in which form?

i am using an MDI parent form with about 4 child forms.

If you're using 2005, you can go to your project's Property page, Applications and select the Splash form. When creating a new Windows Form there is a template for a Splash form.

JM

Splash

I usually create a module. The starup will be the module and then call the splash.form screen from there, maybe put a timer on the splash to close it.

Then on the startup module i call the next form ( usually the main form).

I'm a newbie, so maybe there are better ways to do it.

just a thought, unless your splash screen actually gets the user to do somthing or displays some loading information, then why do you need one. Surely the first time the user see's this they will think, thats great, but unless the form shows some usefull information they will pretty soon get annoyed at it loading and costing time on the application launch.

sorry to sound a bit down on this.

The reason i feel strongly is because i have two splash screens on my app, the first one uses's a file manifest to update any files the application needs from a server, this download progress is displayed on the first splash screen. the second screen is a log in form to gain access to the application.

i tend to agree with davenaylor2000, a splash screen should serve a purpose i.e something going on in the background. Otherwise it's just added development time and could get a tad annoying. Unless of course you give the user the option to not see it next time they opened the app...:)

i show the user their download progress, rather than just a blank screen untill downloading is finished and the app can launch in full.

~JB

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't call the login screen a splash screen... it's a login screen. That's how ours is being built. When the app starts, the user gets a login screen immediately. Then after loging in, the splash screen is displayed. It loads data from the database, then checks the server for updates to the application and downloads them if it needs to. The whole time, there's a status text that tells the user what it is doing (downloading updates, installing updates, checking security, loading plugins, etc.) Then the main screen & menuing are built (it's all dynamic from database settings based on the user permissions & roles) and gets shown to the user. The splash screen goes away, and the app is up and running.

kulrom said:
Well, i agree about purpose matter (in this case it has not any kind of purpose except entertainment :D)

I do agree that if you have a splash screen for pure entertainment... then it doesn't belong. But if there's something going on..... things that have to be loaded.... the user needs some kind of cue to let them know it hasn't locked up or to let them know it is actualy running.

-tg

Last edited by a moderator:
i meant exactly what i said ... splash screens are covering weakness of the application/s and nothing but that.
Of course you can have your own opinion that is different than mine and i'm fine with that but with one word i hate when i have to wait no matter you show me the splash or not. I beleive that you should improve performance of your app instead :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back