SMS Schedule Application...

ChristinaSeay

Programming Experience
Beginner
Ok guys, This one is a little open-ended, but I'm delving into new territory and am humbly asking the advice of peers with more experience to help get me going in the right direction.

I'm trying to make a program to help me (and many other Narcoleptic, Sleep-Deprived, or otherwise just forgetful people).

Often times, I forget to do sooo many things in a day, or I do them too late. I've tried Google Calendar, but it doesn't always send me a SMS message reliably at all or on time, and while it's great for a doctor's appointment or something like that... basic things like "go start making supper"... "get the kids in the shower"... day to day life that I space out and miss... are just toooo cumbersome.

Every SMS reminder I've tried also will only send me a message. If I'm half-asleep and not paying attention, I read it, turn off the noise, and then forget it ever happened.

What I want to accomplish is to create a reminder program that can be used by many users with the following goals:
1. Can be configured with set tasks through the day that you need reminded to do. These should be customizable to the user.
2. It should give the option to send emails, SMS messages or both.
3. It should include in the message or email a randomly generated code that most be sent back to the application (either through reply to an email or SMS message). This code needs to be complex enough that it requires thought and forces you to wake up a little and pay attention.
4. It should continue to send you reminders at a set interval about a task until you respond with the correct code. Maybe the interval should be customizable by task... like I absolutely have to start dinner by 6 every night or the whole night-time routine is thrown off with my kids, so I would want that one maybe at 5 minute reminder. But taking the trash to the curb on Tuesday can be done anytime at all before 6am Wednesday... so maybe every 30 minute reminders.

I've done quite a few desktop applications with VB.NET, and I've sent emails using them... but where I'm stuck a little and could use some advice:
1. Should this be a desktop or web application (VB.NET or ASP.NET??)
(I have a server and database storage already online for my business, so setting it up there and making it a live application for people to use would be easy in that regard.).

Obviously these next questions would vary based on Desktop or Web Application on the method.. but:
2. How do I handle sending SMS messages?
3. What considerations do I need to make to make this application where it can be used by many people? (Cell phone carriers, email clients, operating systems, user accounts...)

4. Also, what messages can anyone think of that I would need to include to warn people (some carriers charge for SMS messages and you could be charged for this service, Delays in processing time can affect your messages getting to you for up to ___ minutes - if this task is time-sensitive-consider setting it up to ___ minutes in advance.... etc)

Can anyone point me in the right direction or offer some sage advice on this one??

Back