Smart Client with Oracle?

Jean-Paul

Programming Experience
5-10
Hello all,

Has anyone seen or got any experience of a .NET smart client application using an Oracle backend?

I'm looking at building a data-centric smart client solution and am considering using an Oracle server with Oracle Express Edition (XE) as the local client data store (instead of SQL Server and SQL Server Express). However I can't find any examples of this anywhere! As I'm new to .NET and Smart Clients it would be hugely helpful to see an example of it.

I really hope someone can help! Many thanks, Paul

You can use the SQL examples almost to the "T". Depending on whether you use the Oledb or OracleClient class for your connection. Both of them have corresponding methods to the SQLClient class.

SQLConnection, SQLCommand would be OledbConnection, OledbCommand or OracleConnection, OracleCommand.

The same would apply for all other SQLClient properties...

Excellent - that's good to hear! Many thanks for your speedy reply - it's really appreciated.

One reason that I'm looking at Oracle over SQL Server is that Oracle has the Streams functionality that lets you push database structure changes down to local client databases. This should make supporting the Smart Client application and making changes/fixes much easier.

I haven't been able to find any similar functionality in SQL Server - but maybe there is?! Do you or anyone know what the best equivalent way to do that would be with an SQL Server and SQL Server Express setup?

Thanks so much once again,
Paul

what do you do with the code in the client? a structure change might break the code..

Back