Sharp Develop

Arkette

Programming Experience
10+
This is my first post on this forum and I am wondering how many (if any) people here use Sharp Develop and if anyone thought that it was just for C# programmers. I have been using it for over a year now and recently started using the beta 2.0 which although it's still a bit buggy and missing a few features is still a brilliant product especially as it's open source.

Ideologically I think it's better because it's open source. Technologically I think it's better, only insofar as it has a smaller system footprint and consumes less system resources. From the point of view of usability I suspect there's very little to choose between them.

I found SharpDevelop very handy when coding "outdoors", but that was a while ago before .Net 2.0 and VS Express happened. Haven't tried the #develop2 betas yet. In my opinion ver1 IDE was a bit on the short end compared to VS, still "usable". Competition, alternatives and open source are three good things.

JohnH said:
Haven't tried the #develop2 betas yet.
build 1135 #develop beta2 is well worth checking out. version 1 was a bit clunky and missing a lot of features - most importantly a debugger and fully implemented intellisense. Version 2 is missing nothing at all really that I'm aware of allthough one or two things are not yet properly implemented in the beta - publish for example and there are some bugs of course but for the most part it's now a mostly stable useable tool.

Ideologically I think it's better because it's open source. Technologically I think it's better, only insofar as it has a smaller system footprint and consumes less system resources

I quite agree with that, VB Express was a pain to install (it is still causeing problems with VBA IDE in office apps) and is very very slow to run, #dev was much better in these areas, but I still find myself using Express!?!?!?!

Back