secure Ftp?

jamie_pattison

Programming Experience
Beginner
I would like to create an app that allows us to transfer files to a third party FTP. The app needs to be secure in that when these files are transferred over the net they reach the third party without any modifications and they dont need to decrypt them etc.

How could i start with this? Does .Net even support something like this? To send them over a secure pipe?

Thanks

If your FTP server supports it you may use the FtpWebRequest Class (System.Net) and set EnableSsl property to True. SSL means 'secure socket layer' and is a standard protocol where data and commands are transmitted over an encrypted socket channel.

Thanks, but what do you mean by "If your FTP server supports it" as the client i develop would be used to transfer this file?

Ideally the user would navigate to a file, select it, press send and it gets sent to a FTP/HTTP/S address. So this application really is the client to use in order to send the file, however the file must be secure (which of course ill look into the FTPWebRequest)

Thanks (but thought to confirm everything before i get stuck in.).:D

Yes, "your ftp server" means the ftp server you intend to use when you write your ftp client application.

Back