Saving & Finding project Files

VBbeginner

Programming Experience
Beginner
I'm doing something wrong when I save and then try to retrieve my programs.

What is the proper way to save a program so it simply shows up under "My projects?" Do I use "File/save (formname) as ...." or File/Save All? If the latter, then do I NOT check the box that says create folder for solution?

I keep saving files, they appear in the start up window under Recent Projects, but when I click, depending on the project, nothing happens.

Geesh. This should be much more simple. I've used lots of other apps and never had a problem like this.

By what you've said I'll assume your using Visual Studio to create these programs. I'll also move this post to the more appropriate 'Visual Studio .Net - IDE' forum. Remember that it's always good to include such information.

Your terminology is a little off. You're not saving a program, you are saving a project. Compiling the project creates a program.

You should use the Save All feature. When you use the Save All feature of a newly create project, you get a dialog. The name is of course the name of the project, the location is where it will be saved, and the solution name is the name of the solution (A solution can be used to group related projects). If you opt to not create a directory for solution, the files/folders (project file: .vbproj, solution file: .sln, bin 'My Project' obj folders, and other files) will be saved in a folder named the same as the solution name (it will be grayed out and the same as the project name) at the location you chose. If you choose to create a directory for the solution, then a folder named the same as the solution will be created at the location you chose containing the solution file and a folder (the project folder) named the same as the project name. The project folder will contain the project file and all other files/folders.

Hope that's not too long winded.

Also something you may want to try if it doesn't appear to do anything - click on the View menu at the top and select the Solution Explorer.

I've sometimes had it that all the usual IDE panes have fully closed, rather than just slid back as they usually do.

Just an idea :)

Menthos

Thanks for the replies. So it appears you are telling me that creating a folder for a solution and all it's different files is the best way, at least for me. Right?

So when I want to open and alter or run my program, I give the path to that folder and then which one to I choose to run it? The .sln, right?

Guess I typed that too fast. Let me try again.

When I "Save All" it saves a number of files in a folder. From what you are all telling me, I DO want to choose to put all the files in one folder, correct? And then, later when I go to open that project I choose the .sln file to open the project and alter it, right?

Thanks!

From what you are all telling me, I DO want to choose to put all the files in one folder, correct?
If all the files are pertaining to the same project then it would be logical to store them in the same place :).
And then, later when I go to open that project I choose the .sln file to open the project and alter it, right?
That's right. The solution file (.sln) contains properties for the solution and also the paths to the project files (.vbproj) in the solution. As I said before, a solution can contain more than one project. The project files contain properties for the project as well as information about the files contained in the project. Both are text files, you can open them with a text editor and see for yourself.

Back