Rundown of Graphing Options

jraitchi

Programming Experience
3-5
My first post, thanks very much in advance for any help.

I'm new to VB .NET, pretty basic programmer in general and right now I'm trying to prepare for a new job, don't want to walk in on day 1 knowing nothing. Most of what I'm going to be doing is dealing with scientific data, sometimes very large sets in databases, sometimes user input (10 temperature data points input into a basic form for example). The graph types we will need to create will run the gamut, everything from pie charts to line graphs to dot plots and bar charts...think about every scientific graph you've ever seen and that's about it.

My question--what are the main options for graphing in VB? So far, here are the options I've found, I think:
1.) Built-in graphing functions [Microsoft Chart Control?]
2.) 3rd party add ins, like ZedGraph
3.) Use Excel graphing capabilities [aren't these built in, ie can i more or less write VBA code into a form to generate a graph?]

I know what you're thinking, if we're going to be doing so much graphing, why not use something like Matlab. Believe me, I'd love to, but don't have a choice, have to use VB, Studio 2010.

So, if you had to create detailed graphs every day in VB, how would you go about it?

Thanks again, with your powers combined I won't look like a fool on day 1-
John

Back