Restoring database programatically.. error

ninel

Programming Experience
3-5
I need to programmatically backup a "template" database and restore it under a different name. The template database just contains the structure with stored procs, but no data.
What I need to do is everytime we get a new project I need to backup the template db and restore it with the new project name. All this has to be done programmatically.
The backup of the template file works, but when I try to restore from the backup file I created I get the error...

"[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\VoiceNet_at0000.mdf' cannot be overwritten. It is being used by database 'Voicenet_Template'. [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]File 'VoiceNet_Test' cannot be restored to 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\VoiceNet_at0000.mdf'. Use WITH MOVE to identify a valid location for the file. [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\VoiceNet_at0000_log.ldf' cannot be overwritten. It is being used by database 'Voicenet_Template'. [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]File 'VoiceNet_Test_log' cannot be restored to 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\VoiceNet_at0000_log.ldf'. Use WITH MOVE to identify a valid location for the file. [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally. "

I use the follwoing code to backup and restore:
VB.NET:
Dim oSQLServer As New SQLDMO.SQLServer
Dim oBackup As New SQLDMO.Backup
Dim oRestore As New SQLDMO.Restore
Dim BACKUPFILE As String
Dim DATABASE As String
BACKUPFILE = "C:\VoicenetSQL\project\tampa\Politic\" & ProjectFolder & "\VoiceNet_TemplateBackup.bkp"
DATABASE = "VoiceNet_Template"
oSQLServer.Connect("NINEL-D246655F1", "timecontroluser", "timecontroluser")
oBackup.Files = BACKUPFILE
oBackup.Database = DATABASE
oBackup.BackupSetName = "VoiceNet"
oBackup.BackupSetDescription = "Backup from VB.NET application"
oBackup.SQLBackup(oSQLServer)
'Changing the name of the db to the new project
DATABASE = "VoiceNet_" & ProjectFolder
With oRestore
     .Files = BACKUPFILE
     .Database = DATABASE
     .ReplaceDatabase = True
     .SQLRestore(oSQLServer)
End With
I guess the log and ldf files are causing the problem.
Is there any way I can get around this issue and create the log and ldf files with the new project name instead trying to use the template files?
Am I using the wrong code to do this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ninel

The code is right... it's attempting to restore the databse.... but you cannot restore the database while there is an open connection to it... meaning someone is in the databse.... could be you, could be someone else.... Check to make sure no one is connected to it before restoring.

-tg

Back