Question Reporting in VS2013... more specific question

ccbryan

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi all...

This is all in VS2013, VB

I seem to have all the pieces of my little report and yet it's not coming together. Would be very grateful for some guidance.

Seems to me that the basic reporting setup is: Form has a reportviewer which refers to a report which refers to a datasource.

So I've got my form with a reportviewer on it (reportviewer1). Clicking the little "expand" arrow on the upper right of reportviewer1 shows "Reportviewer Tasks". This reveals under "Choose Report" that the selected report is Report1.rdlc. The next field, "Choose Data Sources", shows that the Report Data Source is DataSet1, and that DataSet1's data source instance is "MySettingsBindingSource".

Jumping over to Report1.rdlc, starting from a blank report, under the "Report Data" toolbar, I right-clicked on "Datasets" and selected Add a Dataset. I kept the default name ("DataSet1") and under "Data Source" selected "Myproject.My" (the list of Available Datasets was limited to "My Settings". When I did this, the My.Settings variables I had created appeared in the list of Fields on the right, which I felt good about. I clicked OK and the new DataSet1 and its two fields (ReportCode and ReportVal) appeared in the Report Data section of the report designer.

After that, I can create textboxes on the report surface and drag RepotCode and ReportVal into them from the Report Data section. [ReportCode] and [ReportVal] show in the textboxes and it all looks good. ReportCode and ReportVal, by the way, do have values under my.settings.

But when I run the project, my form appears with an empty reportviewer. No trace of my fields anywhere. No error message appears in the Immediate window.

Any ideas???

Thanks,
Chandler

Back