Remote Desktop

cooldude4u2no

Programming Experience
3-5
Hello Everyone,

I have a quick question that im hoping someone may have an answer to. I have been programming in VB.net and C# for awhile now. I was wondering how would i go about making a remote desktop like application.

What makes remote desktop work? how would i actually be able to take control of another computer on a network. I understand that i would probably have to have some sort of Server application and a Client application.

Im not asking on how to go about programming it, im just looking to figure out what i would have to use in order for this application to work. This is sort of a brain teaser project for me, figured maybe I would learn something.

Thanks!

We'll, this is very hard to do in Visual Basic 2008. The only real working solution is following the steps:

1. Create a FTP server
2. Make sure the FTP server has well over 1 GB of space
3. Make a application in Visual Basic that takes a screen shot of the desktop
4. Upload the image to the FTP server you created
5. Have the other end user's app constantly downloading the images from the ftp server and revealing them in a form (like a video)

That all would be in a timer and going VERY fast. I know, I know, it sounds stupid, but that's all I could think of.

what programming language would you recommend that would make a remote desktop application? I know VB and C# and some C++ (Still learning C++)

We'll, this is very hard to do in Visual Basic 2008. The only real working solution is following the steps:

1. Create a FTP server
2. Make sure the FTP server has well over 1 GB of space
3. Make a application in Visual Basic that takes a screen shot of the desktop
4. Upload the image to the FTP server you created
5. Have the other end user's app constantly downloading the images from the ftp server and revealing them in a form (like a video)

That all would be in a timer and going VERY fast. I know, I know, it sounds stupid, but that's all I could think of.
how about using filezilla in ftp?I'm having problem using it. any other option?

I have to respectfully disagree with the answers to your question. I have personally built a remote desktop like application (which supported RDP as well as other similar protocols) using VB.NET so to say that FTP is the "only real working solution" is far fetched. FTP is slow any unrealistic in a lot of environments. Granted it may be a challenge for you but that may be exactly what you are looking for so who are we to limit your horizons.

RDP is the protocol behind Microsoft's Remote Desktop application. There are several others, such as X (primarily for *nix type environments) and VNC (which is based as the RFB protocol), which in effect are comparable. RDP, X, and VNC all have published specifications for their messaging protocols, but based on your post I assume you are fairly new to TCP/IP messaging so it may be a challenge. If I had to suggest one to tackle first I would say RFB/VNC is the simplest of protocols of it's type. For a starting point I suggest googling "RFB Specification".

Back