Reinstalling Crystal Reports Basic for VS 2008

driftwood

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi,
We use Visual Studio 2008 and the basic version of Crystal Reports that come with it. However, on my machine the trial version of full Crystal Reports was installed. This messed with our dll references and such...anyway bottom line is I decided to uninstall the full product trial.
Then the Crystal Reports basic built into VS 2008 no longer works (rpt files open in a massive stream of hexidec)
So I (perhaps unwisely) uninstalled Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio as well, with the intention of reinstalling it
I downloaded an installer from here:
Business Objects - Crystal Reports Runtime Packages
I think maybe it doesn't work because this is the redistributable, and I need the development version?
The problem with the installer I downloaded is, when I run it there is a progress bar for preparing installation, after it reaches max, the window closes and nothing else happens, not even an error message.

Hello,

1) How did you solve the problem ?

2) How did you install Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008?
Where did you download it from ?

3) What version of Visual Studio 2008 do you use ?

I have installed Visual Studio 2008 Team System and I don't see any option to install Crystal Reports at all ?!

At install time, the options I see are these:

+Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008
+ Language Tools
+ Enterprise Tools
+Dotfuscator Community Edition
+Tools for Redistributing Applications
+Team Developer and Tester Tools
+Team Database Edition

Please help.

P.S.

Meanwhile I've found the reason why Crystal Reports does not appear as an installation option!
On the same computer where I wanted to install Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008, there is also installed Visual Studio 2005!

I tried to install Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 on a clean machine, and now Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 is showing the Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008 as an installation option.

Attachments

• VisualStudioTeamSystem2008NoCrystalReports.PNG
    VisualStudioTeamSystem2008NoCrystalReports.PNG
    10.1 KB · Views: 155
  • VisualStudioProfessional2008NoCrystalReports.PNG
    VisualStudioProfessional2008NoCrystalReports.PNG
    75.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Hello,

Try these steps, see if they help.

- Go to Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs
- Select Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008
- Click the "Click here for support information" link
- In the popup window that opens, click the Repair button
- Wait the installation program to finish
- Run Visual Studio 2008 and see if anything is better now

Attachments

• VisualStudioProfessional2008CrystalReportsFix.PNG
    VisualStudioProfessional2008CrystalReportsFix.PNG
    60.5 KB · Views: 142
Sorry, I thought I had already posted my solution for the benefit of any others.

In the end we dug out the VS2008 install discs and reinstalled. I can't remember now exactly which option I took upon inserting the disc, but as I recall the repair option on the disc was a waste of time. I reinstalled, but can't remember if I was able to just reinstall CR or if I had to reinstall all of VS.

Back