Reinstall of app breaks only on XP machines.

wytmagic

Programming Experience
5-10
I do not have an XP machine, but several users of mine do. I updated my desktop application and users download it, run it to reinstall. I change the version number so that the user just has to run the setup file and not go to the add/remove programs to uninstall the previous versions.

It works great with w98 and w2k, but a user with xp gets an error when trying to login via the web service and get the updated data. This ONLY occurs on XP, and only on 2 systems from all my users.

My thoughts are that maybe XP is caching something or uninstalling uncorrectly.

But, when I have the user manually uninstall via the control panel and send them a fresh copy, and have them save it to a different place on their system and run the new version from there, the error does not go away. It is a dataset error saying there is no table at a place where there should be one. I have trapped every routine, but it still seems to throw an exception on the same routine outside of the in program error routines. The new version uses the SAME data files that the old version used and the read routines have not changed.

I am totally at a loss. Does anyone have any suggestions/comments? All help would really be appreciated. I do not have XP, and am not likely to be able to get it soon, so locally debugging is out.

Thank you.
wytmagic

hmm it is not possible to guess from being totally blind with your application, however i can help you if u are willing u cn drop me ur both version to me and then i ll test in my IDE to see what goes wrong on that case. (as i have both XP and VS :) )
oh yeah dont worry privacy will be maintained.

Back