Reference in the manifest does not match the identity of the downloaded assembly

JA12

Programming Experience
10+
I've built an application in VB.NET
Visual Studio 2012 Express
.NET Framework 4.5
Windows 8

I'm trying to deploy on
Windows XP
.NET Framework 3.5

I've so far managed to get the thing to actually start installing. It's downloaded and installed Windows Installer 4.5 and had a reboot.

I'm now running the setup again and it fails with:

VB.NET:
PLATFORM VERSION INFO
    Windows             : 5.1.2600.131072 (Win32NT)
    Common Language Runtime     : 4.0.30319.1
    System.Deployment.dll         : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
    clr.dll             : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
    dfdll.dll             : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
    dfshim.dll             : 4.0.31106.0 (Main.031106-0000)

SOURCES
    Deployment url            : file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/User/Desktop/ClientMover/ClientMover.application
    Application url            : file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/User/Desktop/ClientMover/Application%20Files/ClientMover_1_0_1_0/ClientMover.exe.manifest

IDENTITIES
    Deployment Identity        : ClientMover.application, Version=1.0.1.0, Culture=en-IE, PublicKeyToken=0000000000000000, processorArchitecture=msil
    Application Identity        : ClientMover.exe, Version=1.0.1.0, Culture=en-IE, PublicKeyToken=0000000000000000, processorArchitecture=msil, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY
    * Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY
    Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
    * Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\ClientMover\ClientMover.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
        [B][COLOR=#ff0000]+ Reference in the manifest does not match the identity of the downloaded assembly[/COLOR][/B] ClientMover.exe.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
    No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
[B][COLOR=#ff0000]    * The manifest for this application does not have a signature. Signature validation will be ignored.
[/COLOR][/B]    * The manifest for this application does not have a signature. Signature validation will be ignored.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
    * [16/05/14 12:54:52] : Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\ClientMover\ClientMover.application has started.
    * [16/05/14 12:54:52] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
    * [16/05/14 12:54:52] : Installation of the application has started.
    * [16/05/14 12:54:52] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.
    * [16/05/14 12:54:55] : Found compatible runtime version 2.0.50727.
    * [16/05/14 12:54:55] : Detecting dependent assembly Sentinel.v3.5Client, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, processorArchitecture=msil using Sentinel.v3.5Client, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, processorArchitecture=msil.
    * [16/05/14 12:54:55] : Detecting dependent assembly System.Data.Entity, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089, processorArchitecture=msil using System.Data.Entity, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089, processorArchitecture=msil.
    * [16/05/14 12:54:55] : Detecting dependent assembly WindowsBase, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, processorArchitecture=msil using WindowsBase, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, processorArchitecture=msil.
    * [16/05/14 12:54:55] : Detecting dependent assembly System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089, processorArchitecture=msil using System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089, processorArchitecture=msil.
    * [16/05/14 12:54:55] : Detecting dependent assembly System.Data.Entity, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089, processorArchitecture=msil using System.Data.Entity, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089, processorArchitecture=msil.
    * [16/05/14 12:54:55] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.

ERROR DETAILS
    Following errors were detected during this operation.
    * [16/05/14 12:54:55] System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (RefDefValidation)
        -[B][COLOR=#ff0000] Reference in the manifest does not match the identity of the downloaded assembly[/COLOR][/B] ClientMover.exe.
        - Source: System.Deployment
        - Stack trace:
            at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.ProcessDownloadedFile(Object sender, DownloadEventArgs e)
            at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.DownloadModifiedEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, DownloadEventArgs e)
            at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.OnModified()
            at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
            at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
            at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
            at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDependencies(SubscriptionState subState, AssemblyManifest deployManifest, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri sourceUriBase, String targetDirectory, String group, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
            at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
    No transaction information is available.

So far I've found that the manifest (which is embedded in the exe), needs to have the tag "<assemblyIdentity" as you can see, the app.manifest file does contain this line:

VB.NET:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<asmv1:assembly manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" xmlns:asmv1="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" xmlns:asmv2="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
  <assemblyIdentity version="1.0.1.0" name="MyApplication.app"/>

I tried making the "<assemblyIdentity" component the same as the line in the ".application" file that is released with the kit.

I've also found that you can compile the project using the switch "/NoWin32Manifest" I tried that but the project refused to compile using vbc.exe.

I found a post that said open the exe in Visual Studio and delete the RT_MANIFEST component. But that doesn't appear in VS2012, so I can't delete it.

I tried unclicking the "ClickOnce" setting, thereby getting rid of the embedded certificate (I hope).

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you get rid of it?

Last edited:
Hi,

Yes, I have had this before and my issue was due to the fact that I had Multiple Projects being deployed under a single Application Solution.

For me, the way this was resolved was to ensure that all the Projects under the Solution which exposed the “Security Tab” in their “Project Properties” had the Option "Enable ClickOnce Security Settings" Ticked with the Option “This is a full trust application” Selected. This has to do with creating the Manifest correctly and the application will not install if these options are not set on all the Projects within the Solution that require it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Ian

Assuming that you have ensured that the Options described above have been set on your one and only project then I am sorry, but I have not come across this issue within a single project so I am afraid that I cannot help any further.

Hopefully, one of the other members here may be able to help better.

Ian

These are my current settings:

VB.NET:
Solution (1 project)
Security: "Enable ClickOnce security settings" checked 
             "This is a full trust application" selected
Signing: "Sign the ClickOnce manifests"
            "Issued To" INTEL\<my username>
            "Issued By" INTEL\<my username>

It makes no difference whether I build/publish my project with those set or unset.

Thank you Ian, this worked for me. One of my projects didn't have this option set. I'd been scratching my head for hours on this.
Jeremy

Back