Real Newb Programmer questions

Robkemp76

Programming Experience
Beginner
No better term than Newb for this I'd imagine... Here goes..

I have an application that I have multiple forms using the same information. 3 different forms use the same data from a dataset, 2 forms use properties I've created in one of the first forms. All of this is done through leaving a form up but hidden and proceeding to another form.

I would like to find something that would allow me to place static information into my application and leave it all shared. If tried to do this with a Class item in Visual Studio however ever instantiation starts the class with no data input. And I can't access the class of course unless I instatiate it. So I'm kind of at a loss. What component, item, or whatever... method perhaps could I employ to have a single location for most of my applications shared data? I've looked at modules but I'm not to sure what a module really is. Most descriptions I've found of modules are vague at best. Every one seems to like name spaces and classes over modules it would seem....

1.Create a Module
2. Inside that module, declare a Friend instance of the form you are hiding
ex. Friend frm1 as Form1
3. In the load_event of the "hidden form", place the code frm1 = me (replace frm1 with whatever name you gave the friend-variable in step 2)
4. If you need to refer to a field on the hidden form, just say frm1.exampleTextbox.text

You can declare "Global Variables" in the same way as steps 1 to 3, for example an integer called I1. You can call this variable anywhere in your code for example in the load_sub of your main form: I1 = 21.

Back