Reading from MSMQ help needed

whitesox12

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi,

I am a beginner and am trying to find out a better way to read from MSMQ using VB.NET. There is an application that queues message on a MSMQ. Now I want to have another application that should always listen on the queue and whenever a message arrives want to deque the message and do further processing and if all goes fine finally deletes the message off the queue and then wait for another message. There can be multiple messages queued within a second but I want to deque them one by one.

As I work in Java/Oracle and this is a new requirement so trying to find out what is the best way to design this. Is there something that I can develop using VB.net that basically listens on the queue and whenever a message arrives automatically picks it up and do further processing without any manuall intervention. Also is it going to be some kind of service or where exactly I have to deploy this piece so it always listens on some queue for new messages as with Java Using JMS I can have a Message Driven Bean deployed on the Application Server that listens on some queue and whenever a message arrives it picks it up. I don't know how it works with MSMQ and vb.net and where will my code reside or deployed as this piece does not have any front-end it's going to be just like some windows service that will basically listens on the queue for any new messages and then saves them to Database and makes a call to an external Web Service after which it deletes the message off the queue and process any new message. Any help on this is really appreciated.

Thanks

There's a MessageQueue component in the VB.NET Toolbox. It's a component so you can add one to a Windows Form, a Windows Service or in any type of application you like. I suggest you start here. That page has a link to the help topic for the MessageQueue class as well as a HowTo.

Back