Questions on data

TyB

Programming Experience
3-5
Hello,

I have an app that I wrote with a SQL DB. I installed this on a test PC and then realized that it was making me download and install SQL Express. The app then failed as it could not connect to the DB.

This DB is really just a temp storage place that allows me to place data and then run a statement to find duplicates.

What I'm wondering is what are my data storage options that do not require the user to install a secondary app. There will be a large amount of rows possible 10,000 or more but the data is then deleted before any real user interaction is made.

Thanks,

Ty

You could use an Access database and include it with your install package.

The users do not have to have Access installed in order for your application to manipulate your database as long as all you are using it for is data storage/manipulation.

You could also use SQL Server CE, which only requires you to distribute a few extra DLLs with your app. It's a free download, which is an advantage for those hwo don't have Access to create an Access database in the first place. SQL Server CE integrates into VB Express (I think), VS and SQL Server Management Studio.

Depending on the complexity of your duplicate checking, using a Dictionary collection might be the simplest solution

Thanks

What I ended up doing was using a Access table for the reason mentioned above. I had not thought of a Dictionary object, but I chose to use a DB simply for the speed factor as a simple SQL statement pulls out all the duplicates without fuss.

I was already using SQL CE and that was the issue.

Thanks,

Ty

Back