Question: Faster TCPClient transfers

KevinBL

Programming Experience
1-3
Currently I have a program that connects my work computer (Client) to my home computer (server) with a TCPClient / Listener. The client will ask for a screenshot via text string and the server will create and send it across. The client then has to take the bytes and loop through the networkstream and place it in to a memorystream so I can create the image again.

My problem I have is that I would like it to be faster without really having to degrade the image too much (1440x900 jpeg). Currently it is anywhere from a 2 second to 5 second delay and I am looking at trying to create a real time looping server that sends images one after another so that I can manipulate my home computer is relative real time.

P.S. I do already have it so I can click the client's picturebox and have the server respond by clicking the same area. I am not looking for someone's code but more of a "You're doing it wrong.. look at this function/procedure" type answer. Knowing how is so much more fun that blindly accepting an answer.

Place a GZipStream on top of the NetworkStream at each end and write to and read from them. That will compress the data before sending it and then decompress it after reading it.

Back