Question Question about deploying web application

ss7thirty

Programming Experience
5-10
Deploying web application (need .cs files I thought thats what a DLL is for)?

I am deploying a web application written in ASP.NET (C# not that that should matter). For some reason the code does not work unless the .cs files are present. My understanding and from what I have seen in the past a million and one times is all the code compiles into a DLL. There is a dll but for some reason I need these files. This is in the framework 2.0. Is this some sort of IIS setting or is it some setting in visual studio 2005 that I don't know about.

I have worked with mostly 1.1 previously with web applications so maybe there is something I did not setup properly that causes me to need these files and a dll or maybe it does not know where to find the dll. Please help. :cool:

Last edited:
If you want your code-behind compiled into dll, you need to create an ASP.Net web application rather than to create a web site. As far as I can remember, you need to install SP1 for VS2005 if you want to have ASP.Net web application project.

Thanks much that is what I thought it was but the weird thing is, there is already a DLL in the bin that was compiled from the code but there must be something still saying that it is a website. Do you know where this information is kept in the project. Because I took the code out of TFS and created a new project with it.

Is it possible that some of this information was carried over eventhough I made a web application?

If you look at the page directive carefully, you will find that Web Site page is using "CodeFile" and Web Application Project page is using "CodeBehind". That is why Web Site page must be accompanied by source code.

Web Application Project was removed from the first version of VS2005 but was complaint by many people. So, MS added back Web Application Project to VS2005 SP1.

For more information, please see this link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336618.aspx

Back