ProgressBar with unknown end

jason2li

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi, I have been searching for some time for a ProgressBar that continuously cycles. So the user knows that something is happening, but there is no definitive 1-100. The ProgressBar just goes from left to right, and when it reaches the end, it'll start back over from the left and do it again.

Basically, when you search in WindowsXP, there is a ProgressBar that does exactly what I want.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance.:)

look into the Framework 2.0 progressbar (of course you'll need vs2005 but right now you can download the express version for free)

look into the Framework 2.0 progressbar (of course you'll need vs2005 but right now you can download the express version for free)

I have vs2005. Maybe I'll have to dig a little deeper to see if this can be done.

or by old school methods:
VB.NET:
'make a timer with the interval u want
'add this on the timer1.tick event
if progressbar1.value = 100(or the max you have) then progressbar1.value = 0

While this works, technically, it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the advice though. What I want is what Microsoft uses when it's downloading a file from the internet with an unknown filesize. It looks like a progressbar, but 3 blocks just continually cycle from left to right. The progress bar never fills up, just those 3 blocks keep on moving.

no no Alex ... he wants something else ... Look Jason, i'll try to improvise for a while but when i'll free up from the commitments i have at the moment ... mainly you can draw a graphics object that will gets move untill it reach the end point and then again ... and so on ... ;)
Regards ;)

I think you know what I'm talking about. If you come up with anything, I'd really appreciate it.

Yeah, so apparently I didn't look hard enough at the beginning. I'm using VB.NET Express 2005 with the 2.0 Framework, and the ProgressBar has a setting called "Style" that you can change to "Marquee". This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again everybody for the suggestions!

Back