Programmatically Convert Jpg to SVG with hotspots

lkritchey

Programming Experience
1-3
I'm not 100% sure if this is the correct forum, so please feel free to move it if there is a better place for this.

I am creating an website in Silverlight and VB.Net, where I need to create an image map with hotspots (similar to Silverlight - Creating an Image Map with Hotspots - CodeProject). Unlike the example on the link, I need it to be able to resize without losing any quality. I successfully created an SVG file, converted it to XAML code and embedded it in the application.

The next step that I need to complete, is to dynamically overlay the image with another more detailed image once I get to a specific zoom level, similar to Google Maps. I can do this with the jpg file via layers. SVG files, as far as I know, don't have layers, so I am unsure how to proceed.

One process to complete this (theoreticaly) is as follows:

* Take a jpg (or other image type) file, modify the layers, and add hotspots, similar to the example in the link above.
* Programmatically convert the image to an SVG file.
* Programmatically convert the SVG file to XAML, or embed the SVG file directly via ViewBox.

I don't know how to do the second or third step (with converting image types). I found code examples for converting SVG to jpg files, but not for converting it the opposite direction. I also have not found a programmatic way to convert an SVG file to XAML. Would any of you be able to help me with this?

My other concern with the proposed method is that I still need to have hotspots. For each section of the image, the user needs to be able to click on it to view a modal window (or another page) with details about that section. Again, I can do that if it is a jpg file using layers, but have not figured out how to do that if I can't use layers. If you have any ideas about that, or a different way that would take care of all of these requirements, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Laura

Back