Program and data size effect on execution speed

MyForumID

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello,

I am in the process of converting a data and computation intensive program from VBA for Excel to VB.Net. When I wrote the program in VBA, I had severe limitations on the amount of data that could be stored and had to resort to leaving options out of the program or recalculating data. I am hopeful that when/if I finish my user selections form and actually get to convert the heart of the program I will be able to hold a lot more data.

My first question is: "Will holding a lot of data slow down the execution of my program?"

I.e. if I had an array with 100 million data points compared to an array with 10,000 data points, would just having the larger array (assuming that both arrays were already filled) in memory slow down the execution of the rest of the program compared to only having the smaller array in memory?

Speed is important so if it means a big hit I might have to hold back on the amount of data stored.

My second question which was partially answered in the Windows Forms section is: "Is there a default limit for program size and data size in VB.Net or is it limited by the amount of memory the computer has?"

Thanks in advance.

Back