Problems with VS 2005 VB form design view

nirajk1

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi Folks,

On my on Windows XP 2002 SP2 I recently installed (default installation option):

1. .NET compact framework SP1, SP2

2. Active Sync

3. Visual Studio 2005 Professional (90 day trial) and its SP1

4. Windows Mobile 6.0 Refresh

>> Details

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
Version 8.0.50727.762 (SP.050727-7600)
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 2.0.50727

Installed Edition: Professional

Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 77626-230-0000007-41300
Microsoft Visual Basic 2005

Microsoft Visual C# 2005 77626-230-0000007-41300
Microsoft Visual C# 2005

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 77626-230-0000007-41300
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005

Microsoft Visual J# 2005 77626-230-0000007-41300
Microsoft Visual J# 2005

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 77626-230-0000007-41300
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005

Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005 77626-230-0000007-41300
Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005
Version 8.0.50727.762

Crystal Reports AAC60-G0CSA4B-V7000AY
Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB926601)
This service pack is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926601

<<

from microsoft download center.

I want to build some small applications for ppc/smart phone.

While writing an application using C#, I could not get the toolbox to show

any controls, even after doing "reset" several times. I added class elements for those controls manually and the program worked properly on the emulator.

I found later in the same forum that several resets can solve the problem. I did that and it worked!! I got the controls back.

But when I opened a VB smart device application, I am unable to see the form design view (where we see the form grid), Instead I am getting a long list of errors as follows:

>>>>>>

One or more errors encountered while loading the designer. The errors are listed below. Some errors can be fixed by rebuilding your project, while others may require code changes.

Input string was not in a correct format.
Hide

at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
at Microsoft.CompactFramework.Design.DeviceColorMap.UpdateSystemColorFromXml(String xmlText)
at Microsoft.CompactFramework.Design.DeviceColorMap.Initialize(Object initialData)
at Microsoft.CompactFramework.Design.SystemValueProviderService.Microsoft.CompactFramework.Design.ISystemValueProviderService.CreateDeviceMap(Type type)
at Microsoft.CompactFramework.Design.DeviceCustomTypeDescriptor.GetProperties(Attribute[] attributes)
at Microsoft.CompactFramework.Design.DeviceCustomTypeDescriptor.GetProperties()
at System.ComponentModel.TypeDescriptor.TypeDescriptionNode.DefaultTypeDescriptor.System.ComponentModel.ICustomTypeDescriptor.GetProperties()
at System.ComponentModel.TypeDescriptor.GetPropertiesImpl(Object component, Attribute[] attributes, Boolean noCustomTypeDesc, Boolean noAttributes)
at System.ComponentModel.TypeDescriptor.GetProperties(Object component)
at Microsoft.CompactFramework.Design.FilterTypeDescriptionProvider.RegisterInstance(Object instance, IServiceProvider provider, Boolean recurseInstance, Boolean setdefaults, Boolean toplevel, Dictionary`2 exceptedProperties, Dictionary`2 childexclusions)
at Microsoft.CompactFramework.Design.CreateInstanceService.OnComponentAdding(Object sender, ComponentEventArgs ce)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.DesignerHost.AddToContainerPreProcess(IComponent component, String name, IContainer containerToAddTo)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.DesignerHost.Add(IComponent component, String name)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.DesignerHost.System.ComponentModel.Design.IDesignerHost.CreateComponent(Type componentType, String name)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.DesignerSerializationManager.CreateInstance(Type type, ICollection arguments, String name, Boolean addToContainer)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.DesignerSerializationManager.System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.IDesignerSerializationManager.CreateInstance(Type type, ICollection arguments, String name, Boolean addToContainer)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.TypeCodeDomSerializer.Deserialize(IDesignerSerializationManager manager, CodeTypeDeclaration declaration)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager manager)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager serializationManager)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.DeferredLoadHandler.Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsTextBufferDataEvents.OnLoadCompleted(Int32 fReload)

<<<<<<

I also installed the "hot fix" for this issue which was issued (probably prior to the SP1). But even this didnt fix my problem.

I will be unable to use VB if the form designer doesnt show up

I am able to debug and see the form in the emulator.

Can someone help me resolve the problems. Did i miss something while installation?

~niraj

Did you open Visual Studio and specify settings yet (i.e. Visual Basic Developer) because one time when I installed Visual Studio my computer crapped out during this process and I received a long list of errors like that whenever I opened the toolbox. Have you tried re-installing visual studio altogether. It may have been a problem from when you first initialized the application.

Can you open the windows form deigner?

The other choice is that it may be an issue with the smart device emulator. I am not too familiar with the smart device part of VS.NET altogether but in order to work with the interface don't you actually have to connect to a smart device?

Steve

Hi Steve,
Yes I have specified the settings with preference to C#. I guess thats what you are point to.

I have reinstalled several times - before installation of SP1, with no progress. May be I will try reinstalling again now.

I am unable to open form designer in either c# or vb.

In smart dev application, u can do with the emulator. It doesnt need a real hardware. Also I have emulator 1.0 and 2.0 and had later removed 2.0 but the same problem persists.

Is there anyone from microsoft who I can contact for this. Since this is a 90 day eval edition, I am sure they wont be much concerned. But I choose the eval because I know I want to later buy it.

~niraj

Folks,

Something surprising happened. I installed only vs 2005 professional 90 day trial in another windows 2000 machine. I choose the "full" option. I didnt install MS windows mobile etc..
This time its working..

But I uninstalled everything on my xp machine and did the above but i still have the problem. I believe its problem with vs 2005 and xp. Has MS not given any specific fixes for this. As I said earlier, I have tried the SP1 as well as a hot-fix for this issue. Nothing seems to work for me.

Its so frustrating..

~niraj

Last edited:
I believe.. you have to create a new project and put back all the files in your current project into the new one.

I have experienced this problem before (Form Design View corrupt), just because I reinstalled CF2.0.. :)

Back