problems with vb2005..with microsoft access

wongth7

Programming Experience
Beginner
hi guys..i have some problem with my VB program..hope u guys can help me out

in my form, there's 8 textboxes that will display data from the database, 3 button's which is '<<' '>>' and 'DELETE'

explanation on my program
---------------------------------
the ' << ' and ' >> ' button will browse through records from the database...while the "delete" button will delete the record from the database...
i have no problem browsing through the records from the database and no problem deleting the records with those buttons

but there's some minor problem..
----------------------------------------
problem 1 - when i click on the 'delete' button to delete a record, the data will still appear in the textboxes when i click on the '<<' and '>>' buttons, although the data in the database already been deleted.

problem 2 (same problem related to problem 1) - when i keep clicking on the 'delete' button to delete all the records, the program will then crash and this error message appear 'Concurrency violation: the DeleteCommand affected 0 of the expected 1 records.'..........how to avoid this??

problem 3 - if the database is empty and i log into the form and click on the '<<' , '>>' buttons, the program will then crash and this error message appear 'There is no row at position 1.' ....how to lock those button's when the database is empty or any other ways??

please show me sample codes or something as i will find it hard to understand if you just explain those logic things etc for me

here's my code....

VB.NET:

con.ConnectionString = "PROVIDER = Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source = H:\Testing\Project\user.mdb"
       con.Open()
       sql = "SELECT * FROM Table1"
       da = New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(sql, con)
       da.Fill(ds, "Table1List")
       con.Close()
       maxrows = ds.Tables("Table1List").Rows.Count

txtName.Text = ds.Tables("Table1List").Rows(0).Item(0)
       txtUsername.Text = ds.Tables("Table1List").Rows(0).Item(1)
       txtNickname.Text = ds.Tables("Table1List").Rows(0).Item(2)
       txtPassword.Text = ds.Tables("Table1List").Rows(0).Item(3)
       txtCity.Text = ds.Tables("Table1List").Rows(0).Item(4)
       txtAddress.Text = ds.Tables("Table1List").Rows(0).Item(5)
       txtTown.Text = ds.Tables("Table1List").Rows(0).Item(6)
       txtPostcode.Text = ds.Tables("Table1List").Rows(0).Item(7)

End Sub

Public Sub navigaterecords(ByVal position As Integer)

txtName.Text= ds.Tables("Table1List").Rows(position).Item(0)
       txtUsername.Text = ds.Tables("Table1List").Rows(position).Item(1)
       txtNickname.Text = ds.Tables("Table1List").Rows(position).Item(2)
       txtPassword.Text = ds.Tables("Table1List").Rows(position).Item(3)
       txtCity.Text = ds.Tables("Table1List").Rows(position).Item(4)
       txtAddress.Text = ds.Tables("Table1List").Rows(position).Item(5)
       txtTown.Text = ds.Tables("Table1List").Rows(position).Item(6)
       txtPostcode.Text = ds.Tables("Table1List").Rows(position).Item(7)

End Sub

Private Sub btnNext_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnNext.Click

If inc <> maxrows - 1 Then
           inc = inc + 1
           navigaterecords(inc)
       Else
           MessageBox.Show("No more applications!", "Warning", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Warning)
       End If

End Sub  

Private Sub btnPrevious_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnPrevious.Click

If inc <> 0 Then
           inc = inc - 1
           navigaterecords(inc)
       Else
           MessageBox.Show("No more applications!", "Warning", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Warning)
       End If

End Sub

Private Sub btnDelete_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnDelete.Click

con.ConnectionString = "PROVIDER = Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source = H:\Testing\Project\user.mdb"
       con.Open()
       sql = "SELECT * FROM Table1"
       da = New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(sql, con)
       da.Fill(ds, "Table1List")
       con.Close()
       maxrows = ds.Tables("Table1List").Rows.Count

Dim cb As New OleDb.OleDbCommandBuilder(da)
       Dim intresult As Integer

intresult = MessageBox.Show("Confirm Delete?", "Delete", MessageBoxButtons.YesNo, MessageBoxIcon.Question)
       If intresult = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.Yes Then
           ds.Tables("Table1List").Rows(inc).Delete()
           da.Update(ds, "Table1List")
           maxrows = maxrows - 1
           inc = 0
           navigaterecords(inc)

End If

Read the DW2 link in my signature, section "Creating a Simple Data App"

At the end of the tutorial you will have an app with a toolbar with the < and> and delete buttons

And it will take you maybe 10 minutes

And it will work :)

Read the DW2 link in my signature, section "Creating a Simple Data App"

At the end of the tutorial you will have an app with a toolbar with the < and> and delete buttons

And it will take you maybe 10 minutes

And it will work :)

thanks for the link...but i dont plan to use bindingNavigator..i want to use my own button..any other ideas to solve my problems???

wongth7,

Don't take this the wrong way but you really would be better off using cjard's suggestion.

Generally speaking, you load an internal dataset with data from a database. When you click the "delete" button, it simply "marks" the record as deleted but the record stays until the the internal dataset is written back to the database and the dataset is cleared. Therefore, you would need to add code to skip a record that is marked as deleted plus more code to deal with all the other related situations (like, what if all the records are marked as deleted, or just the last, or just the first, etc.:eek:).

Cjard's suggestion does all that background coding for you.

wongth7,

Don't take this the wrong way but you really would be better off using cjard's suggestion.

Generally speaking, you load an internal dataset with data from a database. When you click the "delete" button, it simply "marks" the record as deleted but the record stays until the the internal dataset is written back to the database and the dataset is cleared. Therefore, you would need to add code to skip a record that is marked as deleted plus more code to deal with all the other related situations (like, what if all the records are marked as deleted, or just the last, or just the first, etc.:eek:).

Cjard's suggestion does all that background coding for you.

erm...i appreciate that, but there's too many things for me to change on the interface if im gonna use bindingNavigator..and i dont have much time left...do anyone has other ideas??

erm...i appreciate that, but there's too many things for me to change on the interface if im gonna use bindingNavigator..and i dont have much time left...do anyone has other ideas??

Follow my suggestion, get the BindingNavigator on form, see how it works, copy how it works on your own button, delete it

Don't reinvent the wheel, jsut adapt the very good one microsoft already made. Youll want to use BindingSource.MoveNext and MovePrevious :)

Back