Problem with MDAC registration/registry problem, cannot add reference to ADO 6.0.

Herman

Programming Experience
10+
I'm sorry if this is not the most appropriate forum, but this issue is pertaining to VS.NET the closest.

I have a problem at the moment with not being able to add references to the ADO 2.8+ (including 6.0/6.1) COM interop in VS.Net 10 Ultimate, Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1. It was working fine a few weeks ago, but today I wasn't able to add the references to any project, and existing projects work only with the deprecated 2.5 libs. The same project compiles and works fine on another identical software setup. Adding the COM reference as usual through the project properties, the reference is added, but has the message <The system cannot find the reference specified.>. I went and compared the MD5 of the whole x86 and x64 files, they all match Win7 SP1. Now normally I would assume they are not registered properly somehow. So I went and re-registered the libraries. Still no luck. Went on to google a bit, did find many posts about an incompatibility problem, that has a hotfix including a BackCompat 6.0 typelib. Installed it, the backcompat lib does not work either. The weird thing is I can instantiate the class just fine through WSH, and compiled binaries referencing it work just fine as well. Somehow the issue seems to be in the VS registry nest...

Has anyone encountered this problem before? I tried various old MDAC fixes, but there doesn't seem to be a way to reinstall/fix the 6.0 PIAs...

Back