Problem with launching crystal report 2008 distribution file with VS2008 setup projec

victor64

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello,

How do you automatically launch crystal report 2008 .msi file with the VS2008 setup project. The .msi file is included in my project as a separate folder, but when I run the VS2008 setup project the crystal report doesn't automatically launch.

Thanks,

Victor

Installing Crystal Reports during setup in VS2008

You can't execute another MSI while running a MSI. I don't know why Business Objects/SAP did not create a merge module (MSM). But... here is how I got it to work.

In you setup project, go Properties > Click on Prerequisites. There you can select the Crystal Reports for 2008. But... this is built into the bootstrap so you have to run the setup.exe.

If you select the 2nd option "Download from same folder as application" when you build the setup in your bin folder it creates the folders you can include on a CD or upload to a web server. The 1st option download from vendor website seems very slow (but works).

If you must run the MSI from within, I seen some article somewhere about creating a VB script that calls the MSI; but, I never got it to work

Attachments

• VS2008CR_1.png
    VS2008CR_1.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 24
  • VS2008CR_2.png
    VS2008CR_2.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 26
Back