Question Problem with installing a 32 bit service.

jonesin

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi all,

I’m developing using VB.net using Visual Studio 2010. I’m currently running Windows 7 64bit. I’ve compiled my service as x86 but am unable to install it using installutil.exe. Can anyone tell me how I can install this service to run on my windows 7 machine?

Many thanks,
J

Installutil.exe (Installer Tool)
Starting with the .NET Framework version 2.0, the 32-bit version of the common language runtime (CLR) ships with only the 32-bit version of the Installer tool, but the 64-bit version of the CLR ships with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the Installer tool. When using the 64-bit CLR, use the 32-bit Installer tool to install 32-bit assemblies, and the 64-bit Installer tool to install 64-bit and Microsoft intermediate language (MSIL) assemblies. Both versions of the Installer tool behave the same.
According to research one is in %WINDIR% subfolder of \Microsoft.NET\Framework64 and other in subfolder of \Microsoft.NET\Framework, and you have to use the 32bit version for your x86 build.

Hi mate,

You're a star!!! That was driving me mad. I didn't find anywhere that stated there were two versions. I was looking for another way of installing it but that has done the trick now.

Only one more hurdle to get over now. Can't seem to execute dos commands for some reason. Shell function works fine in a single project on its own but not when it's running on a service. We shall see eh!

Many thanks!!!

J

"Can't see" or "can't execute"? Use Process class, not Shell function. Still, you know that by default windows services is completely isolated from interactive desktop?

Hi mate,

Ah right. I had no idea. What do you mean exactly by 'isolated from interactive desktop'? Sorry, I should have mentioned... I only have about 15 hours of experience with vb.net ha ha ha. It's going to be a heck of a learning curve I reckon. My background is in scripting languages so thought I'd have a crack at this.

Very good info. I would have spent days pulling my hair out with all of this. Been having a read through here: Process Class I don't have a cmd.exe process running though so but even that, I can's see which method would possibly send a dos command. Or am I stuffed because one of the requirements of my service is that I launch a batch file (actually a .vbs file) every hour. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Many thanks,
J

Just found some good reading material regarding processes and how to use them. Leave this with me (really want to try and sort this myself to help me learn) and I'll get back to you and let you know how I got on :)

Cheers,
J

Back