Problem converting vb6 Treeview code to vb.Net

randerson

Programming Experience
10+
I ported a VB6 application to VB .Net 2003 and I am having a problem loading a TreeView control correctly. This code worked fine in VB6 but the functionality of the Treeview.Nodes.Add function has changed. Basically, this application allows a user to extract check-out information and check-in comments from a SourceSafe DB. I load the Treeview control with a list of the SourceSafe Projects in the identified SourceSafe DB.

The sub I use to fill the Treeview control is called recursively. Here is the code for I am using.
VB.NET:
Public Sub PopulateVSSTree(ByRef tvwControl As TreeView, ByVal intParentNode As Integer, ByRef objVSSDatabase As SourceSafeTypeLib.VSSDatabase, Optional ByVal szProjectRoot As String = "$/", Optional ByVal bIncludeFiles As Boolean = True)

Static iTreeLevel As Short
	Dim objVSSItem As SourceSafeTypeLib.VSSItem
	Dim tvwNode As TreeNode
	Dim strNodeName As String

On Error GoTo Err_handler

If iTreeLevel = 0 Then
	 SmartClearNodes(tvwControl)
	 strNodeName = szProjectRoot.ToString()
	 tvwNode = New TreeNode(strNodeName)
	 tvwControl.Nodes.Add(tvwNode)
	End If

iTreeLevel = iTreeLevel + 1
	If objVSSDatabase.VSSItem(szProjectRoot).Type = SourceSafeTypeLib.VSSItemType.VSSITEM_PROJECT Then
	 For Each objVSSItem In objVSSDatabase.VSSItem(szProjectRoot).Items()
		If objVSSItem.Type = SourceSafeTypeLib.VSSItemType.VSSITEM_PROJECT Then
		 strNodeName = objVSSItem.Name
		 tvwControl.Nodes(intParentNode).Nodes.Add(tvwNode)
		 PopulateVSSTree(tvwControl, tvwNode.Index(), objVSSDatabase, szProjectRoot & objVSSItem.Name.ToString & "/", bIncludeFiles)
		Else
		 If bIncludeFiles Then
			strNodeName = objVSSItem.Name
			tvwControl.Nodes(intParentNode).Nodes.Add(tvwNode)
		 End If
		End If
	 Next objVSSItem
	End If

Exit_Sub:
	iTreeLevel = iTreeLevel - 1
	Exit Sub

Err_handler:
	iTreeLevel = 0
	Err.Raise(Err.Number, Err.Source, Err.Description)
End Sub

First I realize the error handling section needs to be corrected using the .Net Try..Except..Finally method but that isn't my immediate problem. My problem is when I recursively call the sub, how do I identify the parent node to which I should add this child node. In VB6 the Node.Add function let me pass in a relative reference (parent key), the relationship type (Child), key for the new node, and the node text. In the .Net version it is basically Node.Add (node text) so somehow I need to point the node to the nodes parent. I was trying this by passing in the Node.Index of the node I just created but that doesn’t work.
What I should get is the following
VB.NET:
$/ 
- MXT
	 AFCEE _Access
	 - AFCEE Data Gathering
		 Database
		 Documentation
	 - Final Report
		 Final Documentation
		 FinalizedProcesses
	 - CCB
		 PMR
Etc, etc.
What I actually get is the following
VB.NET:
$/
	MXT
	AFCEE _Access
	AFCEE Data Gathering

And that’s it. As you can see, AFCEE_Access and AFCEE Data Gathering are not children to MXT and also there aren’t any other children.

Can anyone suggest a solution to my problem?

Thanks
Richard Anderson

Back