previous and next button

plumage

Programming Experience
Beginner
is there any other way to write the codes for buttons(next, and previous button to view record) if i dont have dataset?thanks

for txtbox, i use readonly to make the txtbox uneditable,then for button,how can i make it unpressable? anyone know?

btw the way,thank for the help..now trying to use datareader for the next button,but looks like it gives me problems too..

thanks.

i use the below code for the next button, but it wont work.iszit because my coding is all wrong?

below is my coding:

Private Sub btnNext_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnNext.Click

Dim strConn As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=C:\Documents and Settings\YangLim\My Documents\Assignment2.mdb"

Dim MyConn As New OleDbConnection(strConn)

Dim MySQL As String

MySQL = "SELECT CustomerID,CustomerName,CustomerAddress,CustomerPostCode,CustomerGender,CustomerContactNo,CustomerDOB,CustomerNRIC FROM Customer "

Dim cmd As New OleDbCommand(MySQL, MyConn)

MyConn.Open()

Dim reader As OleDbDataReader

reader = cmd.ExecuteReader

'read the first row

If reader.Read() Then

'set the textBoxs with appropriate data

txtCustID.Text = reader("CustomerID")

txtName.Text = reader("CustomerName")

txtAddress.Text = reader("CustomerAddress")

txtPostcode.Text = reader("CustomerPostCode")

cboGender.Text = reader("CustomerGender")

txtContactNo.Text = reader("CustomerContactNo")

txtDOB.Text = reader("CustomerDOB")

txtIC.Text = reader("CustomerNRIC")

Else

txtCustID.Text = ""

txtName.Text = ""

txtAddress.Text = ""

txtPostcode.Text = ""

cboGender.Text = ""

txtContactNo.Text = ""

txtDOB.Text = ""

txtIC.Text = "End Of file"

End If

reader.Close()

MyConn.Close()

End Sub

If your code is in the event handler of a button's click event, you will always get the first returned record.

What you should do is read the dataSource into a dataSet (or just dataTable), use dataBindings for the textBoxs, and then adjust the position of the BindingContext. This method will save you many trips to the dataSource.

Here is a link to some good articles regarding ADO.NET on the MSDN site: Using ADO.NET

If you are using Visual Studio, you can use the Data Form Wizard to create all the dataBindings; Next, Previous, First, and Last Record Buttons; Record count (Record X of Y); and Update, Cancel, and Load buttons.

i use the below code to navigate my record to next record but it give problem..
can anyone help me c where did i went wrong. or iszit my coding for my loading of data is wrong. cos for my loading of data, i use data reader to read from my database and load to my window form,it is wrong iszit because it only read the first data, that y i cant run my next button?

PHP:
Protected mybindingManagerBase As BindingManagerBase

PHP:
 Sub movenext() 

Try

mybindingManagerBase.Position += 1

Catch

unhandledexceptionHandler()

End Try

End Sub
PHP:
Private Sub btnNext_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnNext.Click

Try 

movenext()

Catch

UnhandledExceptionHandler()

End Try

Last edited:
Back