Question Portable TFT-LCD and CPU to run application?

PMac

Programming Experience
Beginner
I've been doing some research online with limited results.. What I'm looking for is something similar to http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10089 <--THIS
What I need is a small TFT-LCD and onboard processor that's able to run a vb.net application, and able to fit into a small project box. The one in the link seems like it runs applications using it's own programming language, but the basic functionality and size is close to what I'm looking for.

Does anyone know, or has anyone heard of a small (3.5"-5") Touch screen and processor, that would suit these needs?
It's a fairly low-impact application, so the processor only needs basic functionality, ie. able to display full color graphics, and fairly quick response to input.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Patrick

PS. I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum to be asking this....

You would need a processor capable of running Windows, or a Windows Phone. Pretty sure that limits you to conventional x86/x64 architectures, or virtualization.

At the price phones are, complete with keypad and TFT, it's definitely a lot cheaper to buy a Windows Phone than building a new portable device.

The problem with that is, I wouldn't be able to market that as a stand-alone device. Thus the reason I'd like to build one myself. No need for a keypad or anything, just a touch screen display, or possibly just simple navigation buttons

If you build hundreds of thousands you might come close to the price of the common phones...

Also building a 20MHz computer is a whole lot different than building a 1GHz computer. If you have never built a board operating above 100MHz by yourself, forget it. You will need very expensive testing equipment and many years of experience before you can succeed at it.

To be clear, you CAN build a device with a TFT that will run at maybe 50MHz, but it won't run anything .NET. You will have to user something like an ARM7, and develop your own GUI. Or use a CPU that can run Linux, and develop your application with Qtopia.

Last edited:
Back