Please - How to build app for win8 on win10 machine

OldDad

Programming Experience
Beginner
Why ? you may well ask.
My disabled daughter is also autistic and loves her Win8 PC.

Using some ancient VB skills learned as far back as VB4, I've written a small VB.Net utility which she enjoys using,
My Visual Studio PC used to write the application is running Windows 10.
The application won't install or run on her Windows 8 PC.
It complains the application requires a later version of .net framework than Win8 will host.

Please - is there a way I can build and publish my app, so it will run on Windows 8 ?
I think the latest .net framework supported by Win8 is 4.6 (Not sure).

This would mean SO much to us.
Thank you in advance of anyone being able to advise or provide a solution.

You can easily find out what versions of .NET are supported on Windows 8 and what version(s) is installed on her machine. Assuming you're using a recent version of VS, select one of the project templates that specify that they target .NET Framework. Those that don't specify that will target .NET Core. Note that .NET 5 and later are based on .NET Core. When you create the project, you get to choose which version of .NET Framework you want to target. If you have an existing project that you want to change, simply select a different .NET Framework version in the project properties and rebuild.

You can easily find out what versions of .NET are supported on Windows 8 and what version(s) is installed on her machine. Assuming you're using a recent version of VS, select one of the project templates that specify that they target .NET Framework. Those that don't specify that will target .NET Core. Note that .NET 5 and later are based on .NET Core. When you create the project, you get to choose which version of .NET Framework you want to target. If you have an existing project that you want to change, simply select a different .NET Framework version in the project properties and rebuild.

Thank you. I'm going to give this a try today.
Your help (for what now seems to be a very novice question) is much appreciated.

Hello again... an update....May be you'd be able to shed some light ......

I set the target Framework to .Net 4.5.1 to match the version running on her Win8 PC in the project properties as you suggested.
I then performed a "build" and a "publish" having first deleted any previously published files.

But when I came to run the Setup.exe on the Win8 PC it still prompted me to accept a download of .Net 4.7.2 which is whats running on my development PC.

IF I agreed to this download, it produced an error and the install terminates.

However, if you bypass the install.exe and run whats described as the Application Manifest file, (also part of the published install set), It successfully installs and runs on Win 8.

Anything you can think of that I've missed.

Sorry to be pain.

In the Publish tab of Project properties click the Prerequisites button, see that right .Net fw is checked.
I see that changing target framework for project does not automatically change Clickonce prerequisites if that was already set.

In the Publish tab of Project properties click the Prerequisites button, see that right .Net fw is checked.
I see that changing target framework for project does not automatically change Clickonce prerequisites if that was already set.

Thank you so much for your advice.

Back