Please advise me re which device

pachjo

Programming Experience
10+
1st sorry for posting here, but from what I see of the CF forum not much happens there?

I need to learn how to program using a wireless barcoding scanner.

I have no knowledge of this and would appreciate any pointers specifically toward a device that I presume I would need to be able to deploy a Pocket PC application to which will allow wireless connectivity to a PC as well as scan barcodes.

Any pointers would be gratefuly received

Thanks

I do this on a daily basis using DataLogic Barcode readers and/or Psion Teklogix Workabout Pro's. Its difficult to recommend a given device without knowing what you're actual requirements are (does it need to be rugged for example) but the majority of devices are wireless. The standard operating system is windows ce however some workabouts have pocket pc. Not that it makes much difference when programming though as both use the compact framework.
The easiest thing to do rather than learning a devices API is to put the device (whatever that may be) in wedge mode. Using this mode when scanning a barcode you're decoder would send the data to the keyboard buffer. This means you could write you're application and port it to multiple devices without having to worry about API's and barcode engines.

Hi, thanks for the input.

We currently use outdated DRS DOS scanners which I am pushing to being replaced with something more up to date.

Basically a stroeman needs to take the device and scan deliveries and then at any given point return to the PC and upload what has been scanned to the PC.

From there the application will send the data down to a central file server for corporate system usage.

I guess what we need are hand helds but in the intrim I was looking for a small device that I could get at a lower cost so I could learn the ropes of this kind of programming before we commit to the big purchase of hand helds.

Thats a nice simple application. Using something like this device
http://www.datascansystems.com/product.php?ID=180
I would integrate with the API (I can give you code for that if needed) to simply listen for barcode data. When this event fires, append the data to a text file on a server folder.
Some of my customers don't rely on their wireless network as they don't have full converage so instead take the tethered approach of saving the file to my documents on the device and when finished syncing with a desktop computer using activesync. Once that's been done a seperate application running on the desktop picks up the file and does what needs doing.

Fantastic, I really appreciate you help with this :)

I will check out the link, although I suspect ergonomic wise they will require a gun type scanner to avoid wrist fatigue.

My first thoughts was to have the PC fitted with wiresless antenae and this would allow the hand held to communitcate with it, but maybe the way you mentioned might be a way to go.

I like the idea of going wireless as this is new to me and would be a wonderful learning exercise :)

We already have warehouse wireless but the current system is seperate and uses a dock station.

The system I was proposeing would use a wireless link to a single PC or maybe two only and would not interact with the main warehouse one.

Would just like to say that I'm about to start on a wireless / barcode project as well, so I'll be following this thread with great interest :D

The hardest part that I've got to overcome is having all the existing stock relabelled, as we currently use Code 39 barcodes and are going to change to PDF-417 :(

The reason we're changing is so we can get error checking within the barcode, and also so we can store more data.

We're going to keep the same 14 characters we used to use at the start of the barcode, but then add a unique item number after it. The idea is that when we do a stock check, each item can be scanned (any duplications will be ignored) and a perfect quantity count should result . . . :D

We have to stick to 128 as the data will interact with corporate systems which expect 128.

But for me the fun will be writing a mobile device app :)

By far and away the majority of our customers use Code39 or Code128 in some fashion or other. Most design their own barcodes which contain data relevant to themselves.
There are so many ways you can integrate with a barcoding system its untrue. WIFI, Bluetooth, Direct USB, Via a Cradle (which charges as well). Its really a case of figuring out what you're requirements are and simply picking the handheld to satisy them.
By the way - the handheld in the link above can also be used with or without a pistol grip. A lot of different devices provide this as an option along with cases and all sorts of other stuff.

Hi, yes I had a look at the link and it is very interesting.

A meeting is planned soon to discuss the way forward which I hope will favour my designing a new app :)

will keep you posted ..... and continue to pick your brains, if I may ;)

Back