Question PGP Encryption / Decryption

Tom

Programming Experience
5-10
My company receives PGP encrypted data files from customers which our employees then decrypt using the PGP software prior to using are in-house software to import the decrypted data file(s) into our system. I want to know if there is a way to add the decryption process into the coding of our custom programs so that the file(s) download, decryption and import can all be performed automatically by our in-house VB applications without the need of manually decrypting the files using the PGP software. I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction and would especially appreciate some working examples.

Tom

There are several ways to accomplish this depending how you want to go about it. The simplest method would be to utilize PGP Command Line. This allows you to decrypt (and encrypt) objects that have been encrypted with PGP. Installing PGP Command Line adds an additional command that can be called from scripts or other programs for this purpose.

There is also a full SDK available from PGP if you want to go down that path, but Command Line is a simple way to go.

More info here: PGP Command Line - File Encryption for Secure Business Processes

(FULL DISCLOSURE: I work for PGP.) :eek:

Cheers
Kevin

(FULL DISCLOSURE: I work for PGP.) :eek:

Cheers
Kevin

Great, I know who to bug hell out of about all this.... ;)

Is command line a seperate edition I have to bug my boss to purchase in addition to the version(s) we already have?

I was hoping there was some simple api functions, that I could just call Decrypt(strFileName, PasswordPhrase) since the software is installed on the pc's.

Also are there any actual vb sample apps available for dowload, showing how to use this functionality for the Command Line or even the SDK?

PGP Command Line is a separate edition. But depending on what you have installed on the systems you may already have the functionality you need.

What are you running on these systems?

Basic usage:

pgp --decrypt filename.pgp

pgp --help (full list of flags)

They have PGP 8.1 installed (DUDX2021 PGP Workgroup Desktop 8.1 for Windows) they also have (PXD22C1PGP Desktop Professional 9.0 for Windows) software & license but the N.A. was never able to figure it out so they never did put it in production.

Since the 9.0 will be able to perform this, let me ask if I upgrade to the 9.0 version, can it use the existing keys from the older version? Besides the NA not really understanding either version (I cant complain much since I havent used it myself) I know that my boss wouldnt want to issue new keys to our different customers.

Also the encrypted files we receive now have a .gpg extension, not sure if that makes a difference or not but figured I would mention it since I would of expected and extension actually of .pgp

Besides being more coding, could you point out the differences between the Command Line edition or using SDK functionality? Would there be advantages to going the latter route and would a specific edition be needed?

Back