My vb skill level: Poor but I'm excited to learn
smile.gif

Profession: DBA
- Can I set up the sql connection in VB? - YES
- Can I set up the NAME, Data Source, and Table Adapter in VB? - YES

ERROR:
Argument Not Specified For Parameter
*/

Please guys, I know how uncool it is to ask for a extra "hand holding", but I'm really new at this and realize I'm over my head so I would be very greatfull for your extra patience. Very Sincerely....

1. Here is my Form
my-form.jpg

2. Here is my SELECT statement
SELECT * FROM dbo.procurement_goods WHERE MONTH(date) = @month AND YEAR(date) = @year

This is My Table Adapter
Screenshot - 12_27_2015 , 9_25_31 PM.jpg
parameters.jpg

4. My Code in Visual Studio
I'm posting my new code here and my question to you is: what should my code look like to resolve the missing parameter?

Imports System
Imports System.Data
Imports System.Data.SqlClient
Imports Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms

Public Class REPORT_monthly_Procurement_goods
    Dim conn As SqlConnection
    Dim comm As SqlCommand

Private Sub openconnection()
        conn = New SqlConnection
        conn.ConnectionString = "server=myserver;database=mydb;Integrated Security=SSPI;"
        conn.Open()
    End Sub

Private Sub ComboBox_MONTH_SelectedIndexChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles ComboBox_MONTH.SelectedIndexChanged
        'Convert Month Name to INT
        Dim var_month As String
        If ComboBox_MONTH.SelectedItem.ToString = "January" Then var_month = "1"
        If ComboBox_MONTH.SelectedItem.ToString = "February" Then var_month = "2"
        If ComboBox_MONTH.SelectedItem.ToString = "March" Then var_month = "3"
        If ComboBox_MONTH.SelectedItem.ToString = "April" Then var_month = "4"
        If ComboBox_MONTH.SelectedItem.ToString = "May" Then var_month = "5"
        If ComboBox_MONTH.SelectedItem.ToString = "June" Then var_month = "6"
        If ComboBox_MONTH.SelectedItem.ToString = "July" Then var_month = "7"
        If ComboBox_MONTH.SelectedItem.ToString = "August" Then var_month = "8"
        If ComboBox_MONTH.SelectedItem.ToString = "September" Then var_month = "9"
        If ComboBox_MONTH.SelectedItem.ToString = "October" Then var_month = "10"
        If ComboBox_MONTH.SelectedItem.ToString = "November" Then var_month = "11"
        If ComboBox_MONTH.SelectedItem.ToString = "December" Then var_month = "12"
    End Sub

Private Sub ComboBox_YEAR_SelectedIndexChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles ComboBox_YEAR.SelectedIndexChanged

End Sub

Private Sub go_button_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles go_button.Click
        comm.Parameters.AddWithValue("@month", CInt(ComboBox_MONTH.Text))
        comm.Parameters.AddWithValue("@year", CInt(ComboBox_YEAR.Text))
    End Sub

Private Sub REPORT_monthly_Procurement_goods_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        'Errors here:
        Me.procurement_goodsTableAdapter.Fill(Me.DSOURCE_ProcurementGoodsTABLE.procurement_goods)

Me.ReportViewer1.RefreshReport()
    End Sub

End Class

Argument-error1.jpg

Where it's erroring, it looks like you're calling just the Fill() method without passing in the Month & Year values.

IE instead of:
Me.procurement_goodsTableAdapter.Fill(Me.DSOURCE_ProcurementGoodsTABLE.procurement_goods)
Should be:
Me.procurement_goodsTableAdapter.Fill(Me.DSOURCE_ProcurementGoodsTABLE.procurement_goods, MonthValue, YearValue)
You'll need to move the var_month variable out of the ComboBox_MONTH_SelectedIndexChanged event sub and make it a Decimal type. You'll also need to get the year value from the ComboBox and pass it in as a Decimal.

Where it's erroring, it looks like you're calling just the Fill() method without passing in the Month & Year values.

IE instead of:
Should be:
Me.procurement_goodsTableAdapter.Fill(Me.DSOURCE_ProcurementGoodsTABLE.procurement_goods, MonthValue, YearValue)
You'll need to move the var_month variable out of the ComboBox_MONTH_SelectedIndexChanged event sub and make it a Decimal type. You'll also need to get the year value from the ComboBox and pass it in as a Decimal.

Your suggestion has helped !!

here is my new line: Me.procurement_goodsTableAdapter.Fill(Me.DSOURCE_ProcurementGoodsTABLE.procurement_goods, ComboBox_MONTH, ComboBox_YEAR)

The original error has gone away and now I'm getting an error for 'ComboBox_YEAR' and 'ComboBox_Month' that says the following: VALUE OF TYPE CANNOT BE CONVERTED TO DECIMAL

Your suggestion has helped !!

here is my new line: Me.procurement_goodsTableAdapter.Fill(Me.DSOURCE_ProcurementGoodsTABLE.procurement_goods, ComboBox_MONTH, ComboBox_YEAR)

The original error has gone away and now I'm getting an error for 'ComboBox_YEAR' and 'ComboBox_Month' that says the following: VALUE OF TYPE CANNOT BE CONVERTED TO DECIMAL

From the sounds of it you're getting that error message because you're passing in the ComboBox's themselves rather than a value.
Like I mentioned you're going to want to pass in the month number (as a Decimal) from what they selected.

Probably something like:
    Private Sub REPORT_monthly_Procurement_goods_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
        Dim MonthValue, YearValue As Decimal
        Select Case ComboBox_MONTH.SelectedItem.ToString
            Case "January" : MonthValue = 1D
            Case "February" : MonthValue = 2D
            Case "March" : MonthValue = 3D
            Case "April" : MonthValue = 4D
            Case "May" : MonthValue = 5D
            Case "June" : MonthValue = 6D
            Case "July" : MonthValue = 7D
            Case "August" : MonthValue = 8D
            Case "September" : MonthValue = 9D
            Case "October" : MonthValue = 10D
            Case "November" : MonthValue = 11D
            Case "December" : MonthValue = 12D
            Case Else : MonthValue = 0D
        End Select

If Not Decimal.TryParse(ComboBox_YEAR.SelectedItem.ToString, YearValue) Then YearValue = CDec(DateTime.Today.Year)

End Sub

But you'll have to try it and make sure this works.

From the sounds of it you're getting that error message because you're passing in the ComboBox's themselves rather than a value.
Like I mentioned you're going to want to pass in the month number (as a Decimal) from what they selected.

Probably something like:
    Private Sub REPORT_monthly_Procurement_goods_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
        End Select

If Not Decimal.TryParse(ComboBox_YEAR.SelectedItem.ToString, YearValue) Then YearValue = CDec(DateTime.Today.Year)

End Sub

But you'll have to try it and make sure this works.

I tried it and failed.
But the failure was not due to your example.

Upon clicking a button on a previous form that launches the report viewer form. I get the following error. 1_9_2016 , 12_05_17 PM.jpg

However, I believe the above error is because I'm calling the report viewer form before I have a chance to enter the month and year values that the viewer needs.
In other words I have both the report viewer AND the combo boxes on the same form like this.
View attachment 4272

To resolve this should I:
(A) Remove the combo boxes and 'GO' button from the report viewer form so that the report viewer form only has the report viewer.
(B) Build a simple form called 'MMYY' containing the month and year combo boxes and a GO button that would call the report viewer form AND pass the combo box values values from the MMYY form to the Report Viewer?

If so how do I pass the values from MMYY form to the report viewer so that they can be used as the input values that the report viewer needs????

Or could I be going about this all wrong? :) :)

I tried it and failed.
But the failure was not due to your example.

Upon clicking a button on a previous form that launches the report viewer form. I get the following error.

However, I believe the above error is because I'm calling the report viewer form before I have a chance to enter the month and year values that the viewer needs.
In other words I have both the report viewer AND the combo boxes on the same form like this.

To resolve this should I:
(A) Remove the combo boxes and 'GO' button from the report viewer form so that the report viewer form only has the report viewer.
(B) Build a simple form called 'MMYY' containing the month and year combo boxes and a GO button that would call the report viewer form AND pass the combo box values values from the MMYY form to the Report Viewer?

If so how do I pass the values from MMYY form to the report viewer so that they can be used as the input values that the report viewer needs????

Or could I be going about this all wrong? :) :)
Actually I would either:
  • Remove the "Me.procurement_goodsTableAdapter.Fill(...)" and "Me.ReportViewer1.RefreshReport()" lines from the Load event.
  • Have the form automatically set the current Month & Year values in both ComboBox's, then since those values are known at that point use them in the "Me.procurement_goodsTableAdapter.Fill(...)" part.

Actually I would either:
  • Remove the "Me.procurement_goodsTableAdapter.Fill(...)" and "Me.ReportViewer1.RefreshReport()" lines from the Load event.
  • Have the form automatically set the current Month & Year values in both ComboBox's, then since those values are known at that point use them in the "Me.procurement_goodsTableAdapter.Fill(...)" part.

Will do!
I'll report back to you asap!!!!

Actually I would either:

• "Remove the "Me.procurement_goodsTableAdapter.Fill(...)" and "Me.ReportViewer1.RefreshReport()" lines from the Load event." DONE
  • "Have the form automatically set the current Month & Year values in both ComboBox's", DONE

"then since those values are known at that point use them in the Me.procurement_goodsTableAdapter.Fill(...) part?" <-- Juggalo, can you give me an example please?

• "Remove the "Me.procurement_goodsTableAdapter.Fill(...)" and "Me.ReportViewer1.RefreshReport()" lines from the Load event." DONE
  • "Have the form automatically set the current Month & Year values in both ComboBox's", DONE

"then since those values are known at that point use them in the Me.procurement_goodsTableAdapter.Fill(...) part?" <-- Juggalo, can you give me an example please?
Sure can, to start the year is super simple to get just use DateTime.Now.Year and you can also get the current month as an integer with DateTime.Now.Month. Just use those values to set the SelectedItem or SelectedIndex of each of the ComboBoxes respectively, also pass those into the .Fill() method if you still have that method call in your Form_Load event.

Sure can, to start the year is super simple to get just use DateTime.Now.Year and you can also get the current month as an integer with DateTime.Now.Month. Just use those values to set the SelectedItem or SelectedIndex of each of the ComboBoxes respectively, also pass those into the .Fill() method if you still have that method call in your Form_Load event.

Juggalo,
I've also sent you a private message that might interest you.

You mentioned: just use DateTime.Now.Year <--- Can you show me where this should go??

Here's my code again. Please take a look at the combo box lines where I tried DateTime.Now.Year :)

-------------------------------------
Imports System
Imports System.Data

Dim comm As SqlCommand
        conn = New SqlConnection
        conn.ConnectionString = "server=hopue;database=cacao;Integrated Security=SSPI;"
        '''''''''''comm.CommandText = "procurement_goods"
        '''''''''''comm.CommandType = CommandType.TableDirect
        conn.Open()
    End Sub

Private Sub ComboBox_MONTH_SelectedIndexChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)
[B][I]       Like this?? ---> [/I]Me.ComboBox_MONTH = DateAndTime.Now.Month[/B]
    End Sub

Private Sub ComboBox_YEAR_SelectedIndexChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)
[B][I]       Like this?? ---> [/I]Me.ComboBox_YEAR = DateAndTime.Now.Year[/B]
    End Sub

Private Sub go_button_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)
    End Sub

Private Sub REPORT_monthly_Procurement_goods_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

End Select

' Me.ReportViewer1.RefreshReport()
    End Sub

Private Sub ReportViewer1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles ReportViewer1.Load

End Sub

Private Sub ComboBox_YEAR_SelectedIndexChanged_1(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles ComboBox_YEAR.SelectedIndexChanged

End Sub
End Class

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't set what's selected in a combobox's SelectedIndexChanged event, that event is what fires when the user selects something in it, so this code:
    Private Sub ComboBox_MONTH_SelectedIndexChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)
    End Sub

Private Sub ComboBox_YEAR_SelectedIndexChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)
    End Sub
Isn't needed at all.
What you need to do is in the Load event set each combobox using DateTime.Now, like so:
Dim YearStr As String = DateTime.Now.ToString()

For Count As Integer = 0 To ComboBox_YEAR.Items.Count - 1
    If ComboBox_YEAR.Items(Counter).ToString = YearStr Then ComboBox_YEAR.SelectedIndex = Counter
Next

ComboBox_YEAR.SelectedIndex = DateTime.Now.Month - 1

You don't set what's selected in a combobox's SelectedIndexChanged event, that event is what fires when the user selects something in it, so this code:
    End Sub

End Sub
Isn't needed at all.
What you need to do is in the Load event set each combobox using DateTime.Now, like so:

If ComboBox_YEAR.Items(Counter).ToString = YearStr Then ComboBox_YEAR.SelectedIndex = Counter
Next

DONE
I also declared Counter as INT16

'TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'DSOURCE_ProcurementGoodsTABLE.procurement_goods' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.

Dim Counter As Int16 <--- Hope this is right

End Select

Next

End Sub

How about you either post the entire code you have as it is for that form or you zip & attach the project so I can see what all you have going on.
When attaching your project, be sure to delete the bin & obj folders.

How about you either post the entire code you have as it is for that form or you zip & attach the project so I can see what all you have going on.
When attaching your project, be sure to delete the bin & obj folders.

Thank you !
Imports System
Imports System.Data

Dim comm As SqlCommand

conn = New SqlConnection
        conn.ConnectionString = "server=####;database=####;Integrated Security=SSPI;"
        '''''''''''comm.CommandText = "procurement_goods"
        '''''''''''comm.CommandType = CommandType.TableDirect
        conn.Open()
    End Sub

End Sub

End Sub
    Private Sub go_button_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)
    End Sub

'TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'DSOURCE_ProcurementGoodsTABLE.procurement_goods' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
        Dim Counter As Int16
        End Select

Next

End Sub

Private Sub ReportViewer1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles ReportViewer1.Load

End Sub

Private Sub ComboBox_YEAR_SelectedIndexChanged_1(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles ComboBox_YEAR.SelectedIndexChanged

End Sub
End Class

Last edited:
Of course I don't have your project to actually run this, but I believe this is what you're needing:
Imports System
Imports System.Data

'Select the current year in the ComboBox
        ComboBox_YEAR.SelectedIndex = 0I
        For Counter As Integer = 0I To ComboBox_YEAR.Items.Count - 1I
        Next Counter

'Select the current month in the ComboBox

Call LoadReport(DateTime.Now.Month, DateTime.Now.Year)
    End Sub

Private Sub go_button_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles go_button.Click
        Dim YearValue As Integer
        If Not Integer.TryParse(ComboBox_YEAR.SelectedItem.ToString, YearValue) Then YearValue = DateTime.Today.Year
        Call LoadReport(GetMonthInteger(), YearValue)
    End Sub

Private Sub LoadReport(MonthValue As Integer, YearValue As Integer)
        Try
        Catch Ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show(String.Format("Error getting data for the report:{0}{1}", Environment.NewLine, Ex.ToString()))
        End Try
    End Sub

Private Function GetMonthInteger() As Integer
        Dim MonthValue As Integer

Case "January" : MonthValue = 1I
            Case "February" : MonthValue = 2I
            Case "March" : MonthValue = 3I
            Case "April" : MonthValue = 4I
            Case "May" : MonthValue = 5I
            Case "June" : MonthValue = 6I
            Case "July" : MonthValue = 7I