Parsing a log file and analyzing it

thebouncer

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am a novice VB net programmer looking for some pointers or resources on how to create the tool below (which I desperately need as hours of looking for anomalies in a log file are very time consuming and inefficient)....

I have not worked much in the way of string manipulation and I have gone through several of my VB net "cookbook" books and none of them really are giving me a good enough idea on how to do this.

What I want to do is create a program that can have a log file either browsed to or copy pasted into a listbox and it would compare this log file against a list that was created by pasting single or multiple lines from a log file into the same program in a listbox and clicking good or bad.

I then want to create a button called analyze which will compare the current log file to that list that is created through the above method and the produce a separate window marking what is good and bad with a color coding or dot or something.

I am looking for pointers on what methods I should use, what components and any resources that can give examples of how to do this that I can build upon. I find I learn best by actual projects so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm really not sure what to look for other then string manipulation type code I believe but I cannot find anything that covers to the extent of what I am looking for..

Back