Oracle db connectionstring problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

priyamtheone

Programming Experience
Beginner
What's the connectionstring to connect to the Oracle9.0 Database Server irrespective of servername,username and password using VB.Net2002 (.Net framework 1.0)? In case of Microsoft SQL Server the connectionstring is something like "Provider=MSOleDB4.0;server=localhost;database=pubs;Integrated Security=SSPI".

'Server=localhost' allows the front-end application to identify the database server irrespecive of servername. 'Integrated Security=SSPI' allows the front-end application to connect to the database irrespective of username and password.

I'm looking for the Oracle counterpart of the connectionstring.

oracle db connectionstring problem

Well currently i'm not using tns.
At first I'm simply calling a module that contains a procedure having the connectionstring. I'm providing all the requsites in it namely- Provider, Hostname, Database/Schema name and Password (the default 'scott' and 'tiger' respectively). It looks something like this:
"Provider=MSDAORA 4.0, Server=Self, Username=scott, password=tiger"
If it succeeds, it'll open up another form or proceed to some other code fragment. But wut happens if the username or password gets changed? I'll hav to change the core code again and again. That's what I wanna skip if I'm not using tns. But I wud also like to be informed abut the tns option also. This portion is kinda foggy to me. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back