One unicode character out of many doesn't display properly

larkahn

Programming Experience
1-3
I have tried to use several unicode fonts, one of them being Lucida Sans Unicode and another being Doulos SILS (a phonemic font). My problem occurs when pasting into a RichTextBox one character which has the Dec code of 593
ɑ (I believe this is correctly displayed)

will only display as a SimSum font character which has the same Dec code of 593 but is of a different style. I believe that the SimSum MS Windows font gives support for Asian Languages (which I do need on my computer).

Ironically, if for debugging purposes, I paste into a normal text box, then the proper Lucida Sans or Doulos character appear; however, this means I cannot paste the font attributes into MS Word and must reset the font manually in MS Word.

I have also tried to paste the characters into the RichTextBox as either a string variable, or by using the ChrW function with the Dec number. The result is the same. If a string variable, I paste the character into the coding from the Windows Character Map.

I have my Advanced Save Options>Encoding set to Unicode. Almost all the other characters in both Doulos or Lucida Sans Unicode appear properlly. It seems that Windows is substituting a character for one that doesn't exist in either Doublos or Lucida.

Pasting the proper character directly into MS Word from the Windows Character Map doesn't seem to be a problem either, with both fonts. Is this some kind of internal Windows/VB .Net mapping problem? I am a very low level programmer.

Back