odd VS bug Application properties

JohnH

VB.NET Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
Found an odd bug in VS today, for a .Net 6 VB project the Application tab of project properties wouldn't open, I got "an error occured trying to load the page":

1658078871762.png

Same for Package tab.
Wondered if it was the VS 17.2.6, but another new .Net 6 VB project worked fine. Started dissecting the one that didn't and finally found that Nuget package WebView2 1.0.1264.42 was to blame, downgraded to 1.0.1245.22 and Application tabs shows again.
I have latest WebView2 runtime 103.0.1264.62 that was released just three days ago.
Checked with a .Net fw 4.8 VB project and that works with latest WebView2 nuget, also checked with C# projects .Net fw 4.8 and .Net 6 and they also work fine.
I think it will probably resolve in some way or another by updates later to VS or WebView2/runtime, but in the mean time if someone is troubleshooting the same they may find this post.

There's another bug that has lasted at least 17.2.5 + 17.2.6 though, for VB .Net fw 4.8 project you can't select startup form in Application tab... annoying for my test projects and some ad hoc tools where I frequently change startup forms. Would think I'm not the only one still using VB and .Net fw 4.8 and need set startup form.

There's another bug that has lasted at least 17.2.5 + 17.2.6 though, for VB .Net fw 4.8 project you can't select startup form in Application tab... annoying for my test projects and some ad hoc tools where I frequently change startup forms. Would think I'm not the only one still using VB and .Net fw 4.8 and need set startup form.
I've seen a number of people complaining about that for a while. For the record, you can manually change the startup form if you click the Show All Files button in the Solution Explorer, open My Project -> Application.myapp -> Application.Designer.vb and then edit the code in the OnCreateMainForm method.

Good to know! The VB .Net 6 project is a bit cranky too for selecting startup form, but all you have to do is to unload and reload the project for Application tab to update - which can be done with the Project menu or context menu.

Consider using .net framework 4.8 instead of .net core; the winforms design experience is somewhat lacking in core+ (bit don't work, so MS just turned them off)

The startup form bug was fixed in 17.3.0.

I've seen a number of people complaining about that for a while. For the record, you can manually change the startup form if you click the Show All Files button in the Solution Explorer, open My Project -> Application.myapp -> Application.Designer.vb and then edit the code in the OnCreateMainForm method.
You can also open Application.myapp and change <MainForm> node, the code change in Application.Designer.vb is then generated automatically.

Back