ODBC vs. .NET 2.0

borgb002

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi all. Lately I've come across the need to view the schema of a database, i.e. I wanted to retrieve a list of tables available in a remote DB. After a quick search , I found that the .NET Framework 2.0 supports a method to retrieve such info from the data adapter. After a successful installation of this framework I tried to use the mentioned method but seems that the .NET IDE was still linked in some way to Framework 1.1. Obviously I tried to uninstall the 1.1 but doesn't let me. I've tried to look in options of the VB.NET IDE to specify which framework to use i.e. 2.0 over the 1.1.
Nothing of the above worked. The installation did not report any problems and the Framework 2.0 configuration wizard seems working. The only plausible reason is that I'm missing some step out.
Have anyone ever succeeded to install the framework 2.0 over VS. 2003 please? I'm starting to suspect that it is not supported. If not I have another question i.e. the original problem is "How can I list the available tables in a remote DB through ODBC??"
:)

You have VS 2003. VS 2003 is designed for compiling and creating .NET 1.1 apps only. All apps generated with VS 2003 will run on .NET 1.1 framework only. >NET Framework is a set of supporting libraries that enable the running of .NET programs. Framework has NOTHING to do with the IDE.
You cannot retro-fit compilation-to-.NET2.0 facility to 2003. Microsoft invented VS2005 for that. If you want to create .NET2 apps, buy VS2005

(Or use one of the free ones)

OK let's not focus on how to run the Framework 2 in the VS2003 and move a step backward to what was my ORIGINAL problem. The question/problem is:

How can I have a list of tables when I use an ODBC DSN connection?

I'm using Intersystems Cache post relational database and I'm connecting to this database through ODBC. I've contacted the suppliers and said that you can't use an SQL statement to list tables (for example in MySQL there is a specific command to list tables in a database but Cache does'nt support it!)

All yours !

Many thanks for the reply. I've tried that library some time ago and if I remember well it required a particular version of Cache. In fact it doesn't run on the 5.0.11 version, which is our current production server. Quoting their site:

"Here are the system requirements for using the CMP:
  • Caché 5.1 or above.
  • .net Framework Version 2.0
For .net development with the CMP, you must use Visual Studio 2005."

The most weird thing is that there SHOULD be some way to display tables. In fact if I connect to Cache using its existing driver from Ms. Access it allows me to browse the tables. In essence I want to provide that same functionality to the users.

Unfortunately the ADO .NET library provided in the .NET Framework 1.1. doesn't have any option..

Back