Object reference error with Crystal Reports Viewer

budhac

Programming Experience
1-3
I am new to integrating Crystal Reports into VB applications so please bear with me. I am trying to created a basic report viewer that can be used without accessing the full program. I am trying to keep certain reports from being modified which has been an issue in the past. It seemed to be a simple program but I keep getting an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error when running the code.

I have two forms: one with a drop-down list that has all the reports that you can choose and an open button, and another form with the Crystal Reports Viewer Control on it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Here is my code to help:

This is the Code for my main form:

VB.NET:
Imports System.IO
Public Class frmCrystalReportsViewer
Inherits System.Windows.Forms.Form

#Region "Main"

Private Sub btnLoad_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnLoad.Click

Dim rptName As String

rptName = cmbSelectReport.SelectedItem

Dim newCrystal As New CrystalReport

newCrystal.FileName.Text = rptName [COLOR=red]<This is where I get the object reference error[/COLOR]
newCrystal.ShowDialog()

End Sub
#End Region
End Class

This is the code for the Crystal Report Viewer form:

VB.NET:
Imports AxCRVIEWER9Lib.AxCRViewer9

Public Class CrystalReport
Inherits System.Windows.Forms.Form

Dim CrApp As New CRAXDRT.Application
Dim CrReport As New CRAXDRT.Report

Private Sub Reports_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

CrReport = CrApp.OpenReport("FileName.Text", 1)
AxCRViewer91.ReportSource = CrReport
AxCRViewer91.ViewReport()
End Sub
End Class

Can you please stop creating duplicate threads, please. I had already deleted one of them, and seconds later another one appeared. Your post is in the most appropriate forum, and all duplicate threads will be deleted. If someone can answer your question then they will.

Back