Newbie with a question about scripting intellisense

Gearhead7

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello, i've been in school for about 1 year now and only the last semester have we been doing any programming. All I know how to use at the present time is COBOL and VB.net. I'm not highly proficient in either but i know enough to work my way though. I've built quite a few scripts for where i work. They've been very simple such as copying files or checking to see if apps are running. Lately i've been having an urge to go a bit farther with them, but I am not learning what I need from my books from school. I've done quite a bit of MSDN digging for thing, and i've learned alot for that. I've also aquired a WMI tool that gives me the basic uses for WMI's which are helpful from a server management aspect. So, let me get to my questions.

I'm using VB.net 2003 for creating / modifying existing VBScripts. I also make small time executables. When making Solutions and typing the code for the form function, if I specify and object and then type " . " i get a drop down list of the possible methods. When i work on a VBScript in VB.net 2003 I do not get that drop down for most object.method's. So far i've only had 3 if that many that have done that. Being that I am hitting a heavy learning curve, that list helps out a lot. There are also other function that don't go between the 2 either. Sort of like the highlighting of constants. Is there something I can do to have the functionality of the drop down and highlighting when doing scripts?

As an example. I put an Imports System and imports.system.io in the top of the vbscript and no highlight. When referencing the WMI's, no methods or highlights. It just helps in confirming that I typed things correctly or they all sink up.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Seems like the drop downs should be there. Look at your IDE

settings to see if there is an option to toggle this off and on.

I've been digging through options with no luck. It's not death do us part but would be nice. If anything, maybe I can figure out how to make a *.exe auto close its self. If i could do that, i'd much rather go that route. Does anyone have any idea's of how to do this?

!EDIT!: Scratch that last question. I had a serious brain fart today. Me.Close() is how to kill the app. Just load the entire procedure in the load event. Then put me.close at the end of the procedure and it's all done.

It maybe because with .NET, VBScript is no longer.... VBScript is the pre-.NET scrpty tool. If you are using it in .NET, then odds are you've created what's called an interop reference, and that maybe what's causing your lack of intellisense. The fact that some objects do display intellisense is coincidence as it may go by the same name as a .NET namespace.

-tg

Back