Newbie publish/install error ??

odp

Programming Experience
Beginner
I'm a rank newbie and was hoping someone can help me,frankly i'm hoping to not have to get too involved in VB i just want to be able to build my new program and get on with my life but it's not cooperating , i have a project that goes thru debug & build np but when i try to publish it ..it says succeeded but when it tries to run it, it fails with runtime error, and when i check the /program files/programname/ folder it obvious why ( kinda ) it didn't finish the setup/install most files missing just created folders that's all ..what could be the problem any ideas....

the debug version in /bin/debug runs perfectly, there is nothing to " execute " in the /bin/release folder and in /publish/ there is an install file with the applications name on it, and in/application files/ there is the folders for that " version " with lots of deploy files and a manifest ...

can someone pls help me to figure out what's wrong .......

thks

Sheldon

Last edited:
Sheldon,

frankly i'm hoping to not have to get too involved in VB i just want to be able to build my new program and get on with my life

.Net is tough place to "not get too involved".

In your setup program, in the File System display, what do you show as the contents of your "Application Folder", "User's Desktop", and "User's Programs Menu".

From what you describe, you haven't configured your setup program correctly.

Bernie

re: install error

i agree with you but i was hoping :)

i'm sorry you lost me ummmmmm huh ? i just installed 90 day trial version 2 days ago.... :rolleyes: so it's quite possible it's not setup correctly.... " default" installation....

are talking about the publish "tab" and select application files ??? becuz i'm not quite sure what you mean by

"Application Folder", "User's Desktop", and "User's Programs Menu".

yes i know it's sad but pls bear with me :)

From what you describe, you haven't configured your setup program correctly.

so how do i do that ?

Last edited:
i see what you mean now .....

i started a new project and tried to run the " setup" program just to see what you mean and NO ... mine looks nothing like that, could it just be the a different layout ??

but i do have a project and solution setup and when i click on load project on startup etc.. as seen in first message at top....

i did look @ that article which was helpful... but fyi the project already had one installed but not sure if the options selected are correct, that's why i'm asking and i don't know if they are correct ...

are you saying to add a new one or what? and if i did what would i add ?

the one i wonder about is when you select options tab under publish tab... under deployment "open deployment page" is selected AND " use *.deploy file extension is also checked but the next 2 aren't ..... is that right ...?

" for Cd Install ...... "
Verify files uploaded ....

and i have no idea which files are " supposed to be " included

when i opened the project the solutions explorer opened automatically and on the left screen it shows all those tabs .... application, compile etc... when i click publish tab it ..is that the one your talking about ??

it didn't finish the setup/install most files missing just created folders

the project already had one installed

OK, so you have a setup project, its just a matter of making sure the files are in the right places. In the Solution Explorer you should see your setup program. As sub branches or leaves you should see your file placements.

Go back to the article I sent to you and read how to determine where files are located. You have to manaully set these up. Going back to your first post, it sounds like you have not set up which files to put where.

Bernie

yes i do believe it does have a setup program installed persay just not like the one you showed me in that article, but that's exactly the problem all along i don't know what programs to include ... i know that sounds goofy and should be obvious,

but in the solutions explorer there is no seperate folder for setup it seems somehow integrated and when you click on publish the options come up..... thye just don't seem correct .... if you prefer you can contact me @ PM to make it easier and quicker to talk

thks

Sheldon

Back