.NET Framework 3.0

Blake81

Programming Experience
1-3
How can I point Visual Studio to use the .NET Framework 3.0? I downloaded the installer and ran it, but it looks like the list of toolbox items that I can add are still the same ones. Thanks.

Did you install the Extensions for VS2005 listed at download page?

I also noticed a new type of Windows Forms project. Looks like I'll have to be reading up on how to program with 3.0. I'm not even sure what XAML is, and it doesn't even put the code in for a button click if I double click a button. On the other hand, it looks like some of the controls have changed, and I'm sure methods and properties have changed too. One small thing I noticed that I liked was that the progress bar now lets you set the back color. I'm going to experiment with using gradient brushes on it. I only wish it would let you change between the block style and a solid bar.

Probably nice, but with GDI+ it is also easy to fill a rectangle with any brush. Calculating percentage is also not that hard. Ask in Graphics forum if you have any doubt about this.

I was very underwhelmed at the support for .net 3.0 in the november CTP of the dev tools.

It seems like things will actually take us much lonnger to do, because of the poor support of wysiwyg editing.

MS seems convinced that we are all gonna be more than happy to sit there and write out the xaml by hand for 90% of the time... I personally don't have the time.

And then you suddenly get daft compiler messages etc and it makes you think - are these guys kidding around?

I'll wait for the final release of orcas before I try again.

what exactly are the benefits of xaml? why would someone sit there and write all that code manually, when doing it in vb.net (or others) is quicker, easier and the devs already know what they are doing.

cheers
adam

One would think Orcas, which is the .Net 3.0 development tool, will integrate these means and matters. For now it is possible to get a little peek into how stuff will work with the extensions for VS2005.

XAML is an important step forward from the 2005 development model. Now only a few configuration files the project is Xml based. If you compare with ASP.Net development you get a much better view of how designer composition generates markup code, and you can see VB code and markup code on same development page much in same fashion as Xaml. If you have experience using Xml and Xslt and CSS for web development this further emphasize the point, here data content and their relations (Xml) are separated from the presentation structures (Xlst) and the styles (CSS). Xaml brings this into windows application development, with core support in OS and next generation browsers it enables a common development platform for desktop and web based solutions. Xml is also an ideal foundation for object and style inheritance, which Xaml benefits from, and is a cornerstone of OOP programming.

Also review these overview pages:
MSDN Xaml overview
Wiki Xaml
Xaml.net

Else my comment is that the world is 'turning totally Xml', and it has been going on for many years already.
  • Most new document formats are Xml based (examples Open Document and Office 2007).
  • Xml based image formats are probably to come, perhaps using some same techniques where actual image data is a one or more nodes and other descriptive data are contained in other nodes. You also got the popular SVG Scalable Vector Graphics which is Xml based.
  • Most data applications now feature Xml import/export for easier integration with web publishing.
  • It's long since the better Html, Xhtml, was introduced to clean up the messy Html web, it also encourages CSS for styling to seperate presentation and style, and for clearer and inherited styles. It enforces Xml syntax.
  • Xml replaced Ini configuration files and same registry settings long ago.
  • With .Net 3.0 both desktop and web developement with the .Net platform will be all Xml.
  • Web services and remoting both uses Xml as a transport layer (SOAP messages), webservices also replaces much data server functionality that was earlier SQL domain and local desktop usage only, since webservices returns webbased data format it fits for immediate use without need for precompiled applications to handle and present this data.
  • While there exist also binary byte data serialization this term went suddenly one of the big wiz-words when its Xml usage was realized. (this is the link between the business data and the webservice/remoting transport layer mentioned above)
  • Webbased newsfeeds also know as RSS is Xml based.
  • WAP internet for cell phones is Xml.
  • As validation of data has grown more important the schemas for this also is written using Xml.
  • Better interactive web solutions with AJAX is using Xml messaging.
What I'm saying is Xaml is nothing new, it's what has been sneaking into every aspect of development, distribution and presentation for years - it's XML, it's the current direction of development.

:eek: you missed WWF extensions, JuggaloBrotha

i did? you better check that again mr john

(i'm always lookin for more things to add to that list so if there's anything else to add, just let me know)

Back