Need help setting up a form

rmills

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi all,

I just started working for a new employer and the system that I'm to build seems pretty straight forward except for a few things.

Before I came they were using excel files to put together orders. Fairly straight forward except that they're used to using excel where they have a lot more flexibility in how they enter data. For instance when they enter a product code they want the unit price filled in. Simple enough but they also want the ability to modify the unit price if needed. Ok so I can't just store the product code in a table and do a join. I need to store the unit price with the order details table. I figured this much. But there's a couple other columns where they enter numbers most of the time but sometimes they put a couple words as a note.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to duplicate this flexibility in a datagrid or database.

Anyone ever have to deal with something similar?

First, you make a fist... and then start beating those lawless hippies into submission. :)

There is no way to make something completely as flexible as excel, but on the other hand. Data stored in excel isn't worth more than a couple sums and a few charts. (I might not be too popular after that)

Get them on WinForm/WebForms regardless. Add structure, that's all you can do. They're completely overlooking everything that MS is offering them. And more importantly, they're making your job harder.

Sit them down, write up a plan and do it right. If they're so set on the excel layout, give them a datagrid (supressing excel/access addicts since 2002). There's hundreds and hundreds of references about datagrids. DataGrids have got to be one of the most documented controls in the .Net Fx.

lol! I like your attitude. Ya, I'm going to have to convince them to lock things down. My boss wants to get an application put together using a database. He just doesn't know enough to realize that they'll lose some flexibility.

Man but talk about an administrative nightmare trying to maintain the current system that's in excel.

I'm sure they'll be willing to give up that flexibility when they realize what a real application can do for them.

Thanks for your reply!

You might not want to mention it as "a loss of flexibility," but sell it as "a more concrete business process."

I was in your position earlier this year. I came to a company with no other developers, but they had scattered access applications that independant contractors had been building for them. And no documentation for anything. There was one (relatively big) project that was halfway migrated to ASP.Net, but only a few scattered comments to let me now what was going on.

It's rough at first, but after people start listening to you and you can show them what you can offer; it get's a little better.

That's exactly where I'm at right now. So you built it in asp.net? Were you able to get a sql server as well?

My last job I was able to build a windows app in vb.net but I had to use access for data storage. I so want to use a sql server here.

Back