Need advice on selling our applications

lonniejohnson

Programming Experience
10+
I work for a company where we write almost 95 percent of the software we use. Someone saw one of our apps and wants to buy it. Does anyone have any advice, direction or links that helps a person look at the things needing to be considered for this? I have a list of things but want to be sure I have all my bases covered.

Thanks in advance

Go to IRS.gov site and check out there small business section or just visit your local IRS branch and talk to them. They will be the guys you pay your sales tax to anyway so they will know alot. Thats who I talked to when I started. They were very helpful. Just don't go during tax season

I am assuming the company you work with sells something.

Are you asking about how to price your product or about protecting your work?

Thanks Glenn. I work for an agency that provides mental health services for troubled children. We have designed our own software to track our case work, provide billing info to the states we work in and report our outcomes. Other agencies have expressed interest in wanting to use our software from time to time. We have never sold software services before.

Hi Lonnie,
I don't know if you got this answered or not but I can give you some steps.

Company x wants to buy software y to do function a. You as a company offer a customization service for the software they wish to buy. because your software is propietary you will customize the software with the company's required info, branding etc. You have an initial base charge for the actual software, you add the man hour charge on top of that.

So base cost would be say 997 as an example, customization another 997. If training is needed a seminar can be setup for an additional 500 per hr. This will do 2 things. 1. it will make sure not too many other company's are using your in-house program and 2. it will generate extra income to be dispersed as your company sees fit.
If your company is considering offering software services for 3rd parties it will need to be on a case by case basis always incorporating the time, skills, and requirements of the program. Either way you have a base price and add on from there.

Thanks Glenn. I work for an agency that provides mental health services for troubled children. We have designed our own software to track our case work, provide billing info to the states we work in and report our outcomes. Other agencies have expressed interest in wanting to use our software from time to time. We have never sold software services before.

I work for a company where we write almost 95 percent of the software we use. Someone saw one of our apps and wants to buy it. Does anyone have any advice, direction or links that helps a person look at the things needing to be considered for this? I have a list of things but want to be sure I have all my bases covered.

Thanks in advance

So what was the result? Did you end up selling or licensing your software to that one company or did it grow into something bigger? :cat:

Back