MySQL Connection

jnash

Programming Experience
Beginner
my web server has myphpadmin i have setup a databse and i have used the connection wizard on vb.net to try and setup a connection and its not working in the box i type in my servers ip,password and it doesnt find it
for the ip address is it just the standard ip address of does it maybe need syntax such as mysql:// is there a test program that searches or is there something on the server that can point me, the server is using directadmin software if that helps
thanks

Jon

If the database is hosted by an ISP it is very unlikely that the necessary ports are open for you to connect to it. It is intended to be accessed by your web site not remote clients.

Having the ports open is a big security risk for an ISP especially on a server hosting multiple sites. If it is a local machine can you ping the server? Do you have a firewall on it blocking the TCP/IP ports you need open (3306).

Install ODBC for MySql Database

my guest is that you have not installed MySql ODBC 3.51 Driver. And install also MySql .net Connector that contains MySqlConnection, Mysql DataReader, etc. rather than using Generic ODBC Connector.

Back