MSDE/SQL super newbie

rseyo

Programming Experience
1-3
Hello to everyone using SQL or MSDE. I am new to sql but have some experience using MS ACCESs and trying to learn sql.

My Questions are

- Whats MySQl? is this the same thing as MSDE or sql? i know MSDE is the smaller brother of SQL but what is this MySql?

- Is there user interface for editing the tables in Sql/MSDE? like in Access?
I ve installed MSDE on my pc and know that its working fine coz i did some tutorial and manage to populate a datagrid.(pubs.dbo) and can see the tower with the play button by my clock.

- I also tried to populate a datagrid in a windows application using vb.net and msde but having a hard time to populate it. when i run the app it only showd the header of the data. same with my combo box.

Thanks in advance!

To answer your first 2 questions:

Mysql is an Open Source Database Project which is platform independable. This means it can run on Unix an Linux systems as well as Windows. This is free for use as long as the usage doesn't generate any profit, if it does you have to buy a commercial licence.
MySql is also very well applicable with PHP and the other way around.

There is no GUI for MSDE, but a nice trick is when you download the Sql Server 2005 Express Edition (which is also free and the latest version of sql server) you get an GUI administrator tool. The beauty of this tool is that it can also connect to existing MSDE databases! So you could download this and install only the client tools if you choose.

The other question I'm not going to answer because I should test this and frankly I haven't got the time to do this.

I'll tackle the remaining question. Honestly, it could be a number of things. Can you include the code where you are populating the grid? Sometime later today I plan to post a tutorial on my site that shows how to use ADO.NET and connect to a database to retrieve information.

-tg

TechGnome said:
I'll tackle the remaining question. Honestly, it could be a number of things. Can you include the code where you are populating the grid? Sometime later today I plan to post a tutorial on my site that shows how to use ADO.NET and connect to a database to retrieve information.

-tg

I havent tried coding the grid. i just configured the sql connection and data adapter. I know its connected because of the header of the columns. but dont know how to populate it. coz i am thinking its the same with ms access. using only the properties "data source, data member" but i ll try using codes. Thanks! I ll drop buy in your tutorial.

TechGnome said:
Take a look at this article I just posted: http://www.developerkb.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=52

It gives a run through on connecting to a database and displaying its results in a grid.

There's screen shots that go with it, but they aren't ready yet and haven't been posted. I'll proly get to that tonight.

-tg

Hi techGnome!

I have built a msde database using MS Access "bhSql.dbo" and ready to use it with my VB application i am building. its a simple one with 4 columns

~Table(PatientInfo)

-PatientNumber
-FirstName
-LastName
-RecNumber

btw i am using Vis stud VB.net/StandardED.

I saw your tutorial and is that the same with using the "DATA Tools" in the toolbox?(ex--oledbconnection,dataset,sqlconnection etc) Do most programmers use codes in the public form instead of the visual ones? should i also do it that way ? if so i will post my codes if i ever come across a problem.

need help with this one.
[

Public
Class FrmMain

Inherits System.Windows.Forms.Form

Private Const MyCONNECTIONSTRING As String = "Server=(Local);Database=bhSql;Trusted_Connection=True"
Dim DBConnection As New SqlClient.SqlConnection(MyCONNECTIONSTRING)
Dim SelectName As New SqlClient.SqlCommand("SELECT * FROM PatientInfo") 'PatientInfo is my table
Dim BHAdaptor As New SqlClient.SqlDataAdapter(SelectName)
BHAdaptor.SelectCommand.Connection = DBConnection

]

' I am getting an underline error in the BHAdaptor is there a class that i should inherit or where should i code this?public?

Thanks again!

RSEYO

Last edited:
suddenelfilio said:
To answer your first 2 questions:

Mysql is an Open Source Database Project which is platform independable. This means it can run on Unix an Linux systems as well as Windows. This is free for use as long as the usage doesn't generate any profit, if it does you have to buy a commercial licence.
MySql is also very well applicable with PHP and the other way around.

There is no GUI for MSDE, but a nice trick is when you download the Sql Server 2005 Express Edition (which is also free and the latest version of sql server) you get an GUI administrator tool. The beauty of this tool is that it can also connect to existing MSDE databases! So you could download this and install only the client tools if you choose.

The other question I'm not going to answer because I should test this and frankly I haven't got the time to do this.

Sudden...

I was looking for the 05 server exp ed and come across an article using "access" as a gui for sql/msde and tried it. (jfyi) i've built one and seems okay but dont know if thats good. is there any difference? should i use the tool with the 05 server ed?
Thanks again!

RSEYO

rseyo - using the visual tools in VS are good primarily for prototyping, throwing something together quickly jsut to show how it could be done. But for practical use, do it by hand using code yourself. The number of problems people run into trying to use the visual tools is just to numerous. The biggest problem is that the visual tools store the connection string in their declaration. Which means at deployment time, it's damn near impossible to change it effectively w/o getting errors from the system that database XYZ doesn't exist....

By learning how to use the components yourself, it gives you the power to control the data yourself, in a manner that you know and are comfortable with. It also removes the "black box"* feel to it.
-tg

*black box - a closed system that doesn't expose how it does what it does. Also known as FM - Friggin Magic

TechGnome said:
rseyo - using the visual tools in VS are good primarily for prototyping, throwing something together quickly jsut to show how it could be done. But for practical use, do it by hand using code yourself. The number of problems people run into trying to use the visual tools is just to numerous. The biggest problem is that the visual tools store the connection string in their declaration. Which means at deployment time, it's damn near impossible to change it effectively w/o getting errors from the system that database XYZ doesn't exist....

By learning how to use the components yourself, it gives you the power to control the data yourself, in a manner that you know and are comfortable with. It also removes the "black box"* feel to it.
-tg

*black box - a closed system that doesn't expose how it does what it does. Also known as FM - Friggin Magic

Thank you very much for explaining it. now i know why coding is more important. Can you help me with this coding i am trying to connect to my MSDE but getting an underline error on my adapter.
[

PublicClass
FrmMain

Inherits System.Windows.Forms.Form

PrivateConst MyCONNECTIONSTRING AsString = "Server=(Local);Database=bhSql;Trusted_Connection= True"
Dim DBConnection AsNew SqlClient.SqlConnection(MyCONNECTIONSTRING)
Dim SelectName AsNew SqlClient.SqlCommand("SELECT * FROM PatientInfo") 'PatientInfo is my table

Dim BHAdaptor AsNew SqlClient.SqlDataAdapter(SelectName)
BHAdaptor.SelectCommand.Connection = DBConnection

]

Thanks a million

RSEYO

I was also thinking bout the black box but didnt know what it was called
Now I know.:)

The underlining could be from one of many reasons.... when you mouse over it, it shoulld tell you what's wrong....

-tg

Back