Moving project files to different locations

kco1122

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi all.. I'm just recently switching over to vb.net 2005 from vb6 and find it incredibly different yet powerful.. my problem though is this whole deal with where my project files get stored.

Originally when I first started I was so excited that I started making a few projects using the default directory without thinking about it.. after awhile I realized I had forgotten to change the default directory, so after navigating the immense number of options, I changed the default project location to a network share drive (call it X).

I then proceeded to copy all the project directories from the old location to X.. however I have 2 problems now..

1) None of the projects I moved want to open anymore.. they keep looking for files either back in the old location (why) and/or they are looking for .vb files in the root of the new location and not in the directory of the project as it should.

2) I tried creating a new test project.. something simple just to make sure things were ok.. the test project was only to open the c:\ drive using the openfiledialog class (I'd already tried this earlier and I know it was working).. but this time it worked but when I closed the project and re-opened it, it kept telling me about security permission rights and not being able to open the c:\ drive.. which I'm assuming maybe because the project is now stored on a non-local drive. I'm including the error here:
Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.

Has anyone experienced any of these issues and have a solution or recommendations? I love the new .net stuff but the IDE of visual studio I think could use some work especially with something as simple as moving project files around..

Any help is appreciated!!

.Net Framework is fully secured from execution outside local machine, this is default trust security for all .Net assemblies. This actually also applies when debugging web applications on local machine through IIS. General rule is network security should only be opened per application when needed with as tight settings as possible (ie specific assembly and/or specific network location). If you need to work with source code in a shared environment there are development tools that allow this both regarding execution security and shared access control.

Thanks for replying so quickly.. I see... I'm still getting used to all this .net framework stuff.. so here's 2 question if you don't mind based on what you said..

1) How do I go about opening up network security for these projects to access my local machine if being run on a shared drive without having to buy any additional tools, etc... is there a configuration/option setup somewhere? I've tried looking all about and can't seem to find anything regarding that.

2) You mention development tools .. could you provide a few examples by chance?

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

Incidentally I did figure out that the .vbproj file seems to just be a xml config file and that all the relative/absolute file paths for your project are located there (which answers my own #2 question), but there has to be a easier way if you need to move multiple projects around.

And on top of that, I noticed that some of the projects I created did not have absolute path names in the file while others did... therefore some were able to be moved without a problem and not others. Any reasoning behind this? I didn't make any changes to any of the system options.

Sorry for all these questions but I can't seem to find the answers for these in any book (or there just hidden from me).

In Control Panel, Administrative tools you got the different .Net versions Configuration/Wizards.

Some links, most also available in local help, search 'security policy'
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/search/?query=security+policy first hit is the CasPol tool, also several relevant down the list, "Security Policy Management (.Net Framework Developer's Guide)" for instance...

There are Security forums here at this site, Studio/Win/Web flavours:
http://www.vbdotnetforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12
http://www.vbdotnetforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28
http://www.vbdotnetforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

About shared development, VS Team System is one, included Source Safe.

I have just started working with VS 2005 but in 2002-2003 I have been able to do the following.

I work on 3 different machines in different locations. Create the project on each machine or in your case on the same machine but in a different folder location making sure you use the exact same project name. Then copy and paste all of the project files from the original location to the new. Open with the .sln file and you should be OK. I use a zip file on a thumb drive for transport. Just keep track where the most up to date files are located.

Back